SSH to VPN Serve From Remote Client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
zynpod

SSH to VPN Serve From Remote Client

Post by zynpod » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:54 am

Hi! New to VPN's any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have the latest SoftEther VPN software running on 18.04 Ubuntu Server. The VPN server is connected to the LAN via a single ethernet interface (I have 2 NICs only 1 is bridged).

eth0: x.x.x.2 - running SoftEther in bridge mode on this interface - connected to 10.0.x.x LAN
eth1: x.x.x.3 - connected to x.x.x.1 LAN
Remote laptop, VPN connection to SoftEther

I would like to be able to connect to the VPN server host itself, via SSH, from a remote VPN client. However, the server's eth0 (bridged x.x.x.2) and eth1 (not bridged x.x.x.3) does not respond to pings, SSH requests, or anything else from the remote client. I can ping everything else on the LAN while remotely connected.

The VPN is operating in bridge mode and the client receives its DHCP address from another DHCP server on the LAN, which should place all machines (server, client) in the same subnet.

What configuration changes are required to allow the server running SoftEther VPN to be accessible from the remote client? (The server is reachable if I connect to another host on the LAN, and then SSH to the VPN server from that intermediate host, so it is not a generic SSH or connectivity issue.)

Thanks!!!

sky59

Re: SSH to VPN Serve From Remote Client

Post by sky59 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 am

It is like this.
You can not reach server pc over vpn using ssh.

But you can administrate server over normal internet connection

fenice

Post by fenice » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am

The easy way to do that is to connect to the VPN server then ssh into another server on the same LAN then ssh to the VPN server host itself. Slightly long winded but it does work.
Regards

Bill

zynpod

Post by zynpod » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 pm

From reading online, I got the impression that it was possible but would require a second NIC. SoftEther VPN manual section 3.6.11 states that ...

"Limitations within the Linux or UNIX operating system prevent communication with IP addresses assigned to the network adapter locally bridged from the VPN side (Virtual Hub side). The cause of this restriction lies with OS's internal kernel codes rather than with the SoftEther VPN. When wishing to communicate in any form with a UNIX computer used for local bridging from the VPN side (Virtual Hub side), (for instance, when running both the VPN Server / VPN Bridge service & the HTTP Server service and wishing to grant access to the server service from the VPN side as well), prepare and connect a local bridge network adapter and physically connect both it and the existing network adapter to the same segment (as explained in 3.6 Local Bridges, it is recommended to prepare a network adapter for exclusive use in local bridging for this and other situations)."

I understand that I could connect to another server then SSH into the VPN server itself, but I would like to set it up so I wouldn't have to do that.