Layer 2 Bridge - Site 2 Site - Client VLAN DHCP not working

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
windoofer

Layer 2 Bridge - Site 2 Site - Client VLAN DHCP not working

Post by windoofer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi,

i need some help. Im using a Layer 2 bridge from our coreswitch to my local switch here. my local switch here has several vlans on it. the coreswitch has all vlans on the uplink interface.

the problem is when i connect a client to my local switch here on client vlan, it does not get an ip-adress. if i set manualy an ip-adress, the client can communicate with the network over the layer 2 bridge.

looks like softether is filtering some broadcasts?!?
Note: the central softether server is a vm (ESX). i already aktivated the promiscuous mode in the virtual network which the vm uses.

windoofer

Re: Layer 2 Bridge - Site 2 Site - Client VLAN DHCP not working

Post by windoofer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:28 pm

I installed wireshark on one softether server. i can see a lot of broadcasts on the bridgeinterface, but its ok, i know where they are coming from and they are ok.

Can someone tell me if there is a limitation of broadcasts in the default hub or general softether setting? i cant find anything about that in google.

windoofer

Post by windoofer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 pm

Last information which i can share:

On the remotesite DHCP is not working in the client vlans (2-4094) but in the management vlan (1) dhcp is working fine. if i tag one port to vlan 1, the clients receives an ip-adress.
on every other vlan dhcp is not working on the remotesite, i need to set an manual ip-adress and then the communication is working.

on the coreswitch vlan 1 is the primary vlan, which is untagged. also on the accessswitch on the remotesite. all other vlans are tagged on both sites.

ethanolson

Post by ethanolson » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:14 am

Since promiscuous mode is on, I'd look into whether or not your networking gear allows this. My Meraki gear inhibits it by default. If you're using a Layer 3 switch, there's often a DHCP helper config you will want to look at.