Local Internet being Knocked Out

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
KaledDavros

Local Internet being Knocked Out

Post by KaledDavros » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 am

Hello all

I am having trouble setting up my VPN so I hope somebody can help me.

I have a MySQL server running on my corporate network:

PC IP: 192.168.1.224
Gateway IP: 192.168.1.254

I have installed the Softether server on the PC in question and disabled the firewall for the moment. I am using the Virtual DHCP using the preset range of 192.168.30.x.

The VPN connection from the client at my home all connected ok apart from internet being routed from the MySQL server. I don't want this, I only want access to the DB server but use my own internet connection for internet access.

I removed the Gateway IP and DNS IP from the Virtual DHCP settings on the server so they were all blank. This seemed to work. Googling 'What's My IP' now displayed my own internet IP rather than the VPN server's public IP which I checked before. This all seemed to work fine for about 30 minutes whilst I was trying to establish the database connection to the VPN server, which it couldn't find. Now, when I am connected to the VPN, my own internet can no longer connect (it says 'No Internet Access') and I am at a loss of what to do next. I am running Windows 10 Pro btw.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

KaledDavros

Re: Local Internet being Knocked Out

Post by KaledDavros » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am

UPDATE

It turns out that windows was re-assigning 'network locations' to various adapters once the VPN was connected, changing Private to Public etc.
I manually set each network's location using group policy editor > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Network Lists settings and changing each one.

I then removed the Gateway and DNS IPs from the Virual DHCP manager on the VPN server and I now have a connection to the DB server from my VPN client whilst maintaining my own internet connection.

However, MySQL server will now not start when Softether server is running. They are not using the same 3308 port, so I am not at a loss as to what is happening.

Afakename

Re: Local Internet being Knocked Out

Post by Afakename » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi, on your local PC client, open Network and sharing center

1. Right click on the VPN adapter, select properties
2. Open properties on TCP/IP V4
3. Click Advanced
4. Click to place a check mark on Auto Metric
5. OK all the way out
6. Disconnect the VPN
7. Reconnect the VPN
8. Enjoy!