Performance very poor vs OpenVPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Tasagore

Performance very poor vs OpenVPN

Post by Tasagore » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi

Server: virtualized Windows 2012R2 Server with OpenVPN 2.4.3 installed and latest SoftEther version, one LAN adapter, running under ESXi
Client: virtualized Windows 10 with OpenVPN client and latest SoftEher version, running under Parallels Desktop 15

Connected with OpenVPN I can upload or download a file (using SMB) with speeds of 8-10Mbps in both ways, use ODBC to connect databases, etc, all works fine.

Connected with SoftEher (no matters if I use the native client, a L2TP/IPSec or the OpenVPN clone), I can upload the same file to the same folder at 2Mbps but I can't download it, the speed is a few kbs. Also if I try to use a ODBC connection to a MySQL server it's almost unusable due the slow speed.

I've disabled UDP acceleration and NAT-T as suggested in other posts, same result. I've installed a different server, same result.

Any idea? The connection is very fast an the configuration is pretty easy, I love it since I discover SoftEther but all that love goes away when I've tried to use it :(

Tasagore

Re: Performance very poor vs OpenVPN

Post by Tasagore » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 pm

With MacOS client (IPSEC/L2TP) the performance is also very poor, upload a file is possible, but same file can't be downloaded from the server. Same Macos with Tunnelblick+OpenVPN the speed is fine. So it's not a client-related issue.

Tasagore

Post by Tasagore » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:50 pm

And last test, I've configured another server (physical machine with Win10 Pro) in another location and made some test with a Mac client, Win10 virtualized and Win10 physical but there is no difference.

I'm a bit frustrated with this, anybody has an idea about what's the problem?

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Are you using SecureNAT or local bridge?

Tasagore

Post by Tasagore » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 pm

Local bridge

Tasagore

Post by Tasagore » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Solved!

Add a secondary adapter as described in the manual and all now works great!

The speed vs OpenVPN in same machine, conditions, line...is about 50% higher in SoftEther using the native client or the Windows client.