VPN restrict/deny remote gateway/internet Access

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Jorrock

VPN restrict/deny remote gateway/internet Access

Post by Jorrock » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

I know there are heaps of posts that are relevant but they feel outdated; to me.

I'm running VPN server on a computer withing my home network and computers outside of it that just need to access the local bridge and communicate with the computers I have here are also accessing the internet.

I cannot find where to disable the internet use of the remote gateway but I recall when i made a windows 10 VPN i was able to set that up in the settings.

I'm kind of new to this stuff ~ it all makes a great deal of sense but it looks like the jargon has defeated me in this case.

It would be of great help if anyone could get back to me about this!

Cheers

Jorrock

Re: VPN restrict/deny remote gateway/internet Access

Post by Jorrock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 am

It would be great if someone could take 10 seconds to explain this simple issue <3

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 am

please increase the metric value of the virtual NIC.

Open network adapters choose the " VPN client adapter" Right mouse, choose properties > tcp/ip V4 > properties > advanced > uncheck " automatic metric" > set metric to " 5 " > ok >ok > ok

Jorrock

Post by Jorrock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:57 am

I did this and there are still bandwidth issues for the client :/
Thank for your reply, not working for me.

what does increasing the metric value do?
It has made using the internet and accessing my VPN not possible.

Appreciate some further help if I may :)

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello,

Go back into network adapters go into the properties of the network adapter you use to connect to your local network. (Ethernet, Wi-Fi).
Look under the advanced and make sure the automatic metric is unchecked and put a "1" for the metric.
Right mouse, choose properties > tcp/ip V4 > properties > advanced > uncheck " automatic metric" > set metric to " 1 " > ok >ok > ok

So the "native network adapter" it "1" and the "VPN virtual adapter" is set to "5".

The metric sets the priority of which network settings to use over the other. The lower the number the higher the priority.

Jorrock

Post by Jorrock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Awesome!

thanks mate.