Raspberry Pi with a dual NIC?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
edsbrain

Raspberry Pi with a dual NIC?

Post by edsbrain » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:09 pm

I want to create a Rasp-Pi VPN server using SoftEther. But possibly with some other features added in. My initial question is; Is one Pi unit with a dual NIC going to be better for overall performance and flexibility or does it not matter that much? I ask because I'm wanting to do a few things like allow devices within the network to access the internet as normal, be able to use the VPN device to act as a server to other connections from elsewhere, and of course use the server for my own devices when on the road.
I know. I'm asking for a lot. Let me know your thoughts. TIA
Last edited by edsbrain on Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solo

Re: Raspberry Pi with a dual NIC?

Post by solo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:04 pm

It's recommended but not essential.
If you are using local bridging to make a bridged connection between a Virtual Hub and a physical LAN as described in section 3.6 Local Bridges, we recommend you set aside a network adapter specifically for this purpose. This will result in the best performance when using local bridging.
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... in_the_VPN.

edsbrain

Post by edsbrain » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:25 pm

Thank you for that! I will look at this now.

BTW... Is there any other information on using SoftEther on a Raspberry Pi device? Any help will help me. Thanks!

solo wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:04 pm
It's recommended but not essential.
If you are using local bridging to make a bridged connection between a Virtual Hub and a physical LAN as described in section 3.6 Local Bridges, we recommend you set aside a network adapter specifically for this purpose. This will result in the best performance when using local bridging.
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... in_the_VPN.

solo

Post by solo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:00 am