VPN server won't forward traffic anymore

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
blazzelia

VPN server won't forward traffic anymore

Post by blazzelia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:05 am

Hi,

I have this server deployed for more than a year now, with two virtual hubs - one for regular use and one I used for testing with a Radius server. The VPN server was configured since day one as a standalone server.
Two days ago I decided to check the clustering function as there are chances that more people will use this VPN server and I wanted to provide some redundancy.
I switch the configuration to Cluster Controller and, after the service restart, I connect again with the VPN client. I was able to connect but not able to reach anymore any of the networks behind the VPN server. This used to work fine. Both virtual hubs are using SecureNAT.
I switched back to Standalone Server and tried again - no luck. I restart the VPN server a few times, still no luck

I check IP forwarding on the server - looks fine, the server logs indicate successful connect of the VPN client and proper dynamic IP allocation. On the client side I get the proper routes pushed to the routing table. I am able only to ping the virtual IP of the server (192.168.100.1 in my case, with client having 192.168.100.10).
I even create a local bridge between the virtual hubs and the server Ethernet card, even though I did not use this feature before, still no go.

Both virtual hubs are in the same situation.

I'm missing something but I just can't figure out what the problem is ...

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

B

solo

Re: VPN server won't forward traffic anymore

Post by solo » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 am

Try to restore the old config, eg on Win from C:\Program Files\SoftEther VPN Server\backup.vpn_server.config

blazzelia

Post by blazzelia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:36 am

solo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 am
Try to restore the old config, eg on Win from C:\Program Files\SoftEther VPN Server\backup.vpn_server.config
Great, thanks. It's a Linux but I was able to find the backup file and restore the config. I'm back in business now. Thank you very much.

Reonk

Post by Reonk » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:37 am

If your VPN server is no longer forwarding traffic, it could be due to a number of different factors. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

Check the VPN server logs: Look for any error messages or other clues in the VPN server logs that could indicate the cause of the issue.

Restart the VPN server: Sometimes, simply restarting the VPN server can resolve issues with traffic forwarding.

Check the VPN server configuration: Make sure that the VPN server is configured correctly to allow traffic forwarding. This may include setting up appropriate firewall rules, port forwarding rules, or other network configuration settings.

Check the client configuration: Make sure that the VPN client is configured correctly to connect to the VPN server and route traffic through the VPN connection. This may include specifying the correct VPN server address, username, and password.

Check for networking issues: If the VPN server is unable to forward traffic, it could be due to a networking issue. Check for any problems with the VPN server's network connection, such as a faulty network cable or a misconfigured router or firewall.

If you have tried these steps and are still experiencing issues with your VPN server, you may want to try seeking assistance from the VPN server's support team or consulting with a network administrator for further assistance.