Creating a bridge on a Pi 4

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Mastiff

Creating a bridge on a Pi 4

Post by Mastiff » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:22 pm

I have a SoftEther server running om a Windows Server 2019 in my cabin (because that actually got fibre first), and I have a bridge set up from my home with another Windows Server 2019, which has worked flawlessly for the longest time. But for a month now I have to stay at another house, and I would like to set up a bridge to my cabin from there. I don't have a spare Windows Server laying around, so I figured I'd set up a Pi 4 with 4 gig ram as a bride there. First I set it up as a router, wich works as it should (using the Pi wifi to connect to the wifi in that house and the ethernet going to my work computer). Then I installed Softether with a script I found here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=262264

Finally I uncommentede the bridge line in the init.d file and commented out the client line, and just copied the config setup from my house to the Pi in the vain hope that it would work, which it of course doesn't. I can't ping anything, and the server doesn't show anything extra connected to it. It should start automatically, but it doesn't:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status softether
● softether.service - SYSV: SoftEther VPN Client
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/softether; generated)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

juli 06 18:00:12 Hytte-Pi sudo[1546]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
juli 06 18:00:12 Hytte-Pi systemd[1]: Started SYSV: SoftEther VPN Client.
juli 06 18:06:14 Hytte-Pi systemd[1]: Stopping SYSV: SoftEther VPN Client...
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi sudo[2257]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/vpnbridge start
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi sudo[2257]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi softether[2237]: SoftEther VPN Bridge service has been already started.
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi softether[2237]: Run the "vpnbridge stop" command to stop this service.
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi sudo[2257]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi systemd[1]: softether.service: Succeeded.
juli 06 18:06:24 Hytte-Pi systemd[1]: Stopped SYSV: SoftEther VPN Client.

I see that it logs into the server from the number of connections there, but I have no idea what's going on, is it possible to see what's happening from this? I can't ping the server (which has the adress 192.168.2.1). If I ping 192.168.10.1 I get an answer. I do have a faint idea that it may be a virtual network card for the VPN service, but I haven't messed around with this for years... Can somebody please put me out of my misery, or maybe even point me to a bridge setup that works?