OpenVPN Connection Issue

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Dankau

OpenVPN Connection Issue

Post by Dankau » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:34 am

Hello,

we currently have 3 SoftEther servers.
2 servers are on version 5.02, one is still on version 4.32.

While trying to create the config file for an openVPN connection it was noticed that the settings for the openVPN connection are different.

In the new version, the SoftEther configuration file contains the following (relevant section):
bool NoSendSignature false
bool Override_Security_Level false
uint Override_Security_Level_Value 0
string PortsUDP $
bool SaveDebugLog false
byte ServerCert

If you compare the settings with the old version, it becomes clear that some options are not set:
bool NoSendSignature false
string OpenVPNDefaultClientOption dev-type $ 20tun, link-mtu $ 201500, tun-mtu $ 201500, cipher $ 20AES-128-CBC, auth $ 20SHA1, keysize $ 20128, key-method $ 202, tls-client
string OpenVPN_UdpPortList 1194
bool SaveDebugLog false
byte ServerCert

It can be seen that the settings for the openVPN connection are no longer available. Even manually editing the configuration file from SoftEther and adding the old settings for openVPN does not work.
Even when setting up openVPN, the port entered does not remain, the configuration file does not adopt the settings made.

The reason why we need openVPN is because we use classless routing in our VPN-networks. Classeless routing does not work on mobile devices, so we want to connect those devices via openVPN to our network and add the right routing tables to the client config file.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dankau

Re: OpenVPN Connection Issue

Post by Dankau » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Hello,

after testing the connection from openVPN for a bit I feel like I got a little bit closer to a solution.

I found the entries for openVPN in the SoftEther-Server settings. It is at the start of the config where you declare the Protos.
I edited that part:

declare OpenVPN
{
string DefaultClientOption dev-type$20tun,link-mtu$201500,tun-mtu$201500,cipher$20AES-128-CBC,auth$20SHA1,keysize$20128,key-method$202,tls-client
bool Enabled true
bool Obfuscation false
string ObfuscationMask $
uint PingSendInterval 3000
bool PushDummyIPv4AddressOnL2Mode true
uint Timeout 30000
}

One thing is still missing. That is the declaration of the used port for openVPN. I can't add it to the config-file. Does anyone use openVPN in the Version 5.02? I can*t get it to work.

Greetings
Dankau

shrdlu

Post by shrdlu » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:15 am

Dankau wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm
One thing is still missing. That is the declaration of the used port for openVPN. I can't add it to the config-file. Does anyone use openVPN in the Version 5.02? I can*t get it to work.
Same trouble with OpenVPN in 5.02! All OpenVPN commands in vpncmd are lost!

Code: Select all

VPN Server>ServerInfoGet
ServerInfoGet command - Get server information
Item                            |Value
--------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Name                    |SoftEther VPN Server Developer Edition (64 bit) (Open Source)
Version                         |Version 5.02 Build 9675   (English)
Build                           |Compiled 2021/07/01 20:37:50 by nobody at FreeBSD:12:2:amd64-default-daily-job-06
Host Name                       |test.example.com
Server Type                     |Standalone Server
Type of Operating System        |BSD System
Product Name of Operating System|FreeBSD
Operating System Vendor         |FreeBSD
Operating System Version        |12.2-RELEASE-p7
Type of OS Kernel               |UNIX
Version of OS Kernel            |FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC
The command completed successfully.

VPN Server>OpenVpnGet
"OpenVpnGet": Command not found.
You can use the HELP command to view a list of the available commands.
VPN Server>
I rollback to 5.01...

Dankau

Post by Dankau » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:20 am

Because we found another problem with the version 5.02, we decided to delete that server and installed a new one with version 4.36.
The problem beside the one with the openVPN was that while connecting with the SoftEther client, we could not get an IP-Address from our DHCP-server. A connection over L2TP worked without problems.

After "degrading" the server we can use L2TP, openVPN and the SoftEther Client without problems.