Advice needed on setup

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
someone123

Advice needed on setup

Post by someone123 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am

Hello,

I'm trying to create a configuration where:
- there are external users connecting via PC or phone to a VPN
- the VPN links several servers in the same network
- internal domain names are resolved in the VPN

Basically I want to expose some web services only to people inside the VPN, even though the servers there have public addresses. How to set up the webservers to listen on just the VPN (or VLAN?) interface is not the scope of this topic.

Since the servers have a public IP and interface, am I correct in assuming I need to create a new virtual network interface in vpn-manager? How do I link those servers to be on the same network?

Does an Ad-Hoc network achieve what I want? https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... Ad-hoc_VPN
It's fine if the clients accessing the network get their own IPs in the same subnet.
Does Ad-Hoc network need a separate Windows VPN client? I thought the one included in Windows 10 can do L2TP without issues.

Thank you

nobody12

Re: Advice needed on setup

Post by nobody12 » Thu May 06, 2021 5:53 am

If you just install and setup Softether the default way, all clients will be inside the local network, the same as If they really would be located there. The Softether VPN creates a L2 tunnel. A virtual Network card, which after connection is inside the Network of the VPN Server.
All VPN users will have access to all resources inside the Network, no extra work has to be done on your Webserver.