Why can't Softether VPN's automatic startup be blocked in the usual way?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Taba

Why can't Softether VPN's automatic startup be blocked in the usual way?

Post by Taba » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Dear "VPN Gate" project developers,

I have been benefiting from your project for a long time; First of all, thank you very much for that. But:

Previously, the following 2 actions were sufficient to prevent Softether VPN from starting automatically with Windows:

- Disable 2 Softether VPN components in "Task Manager > Startup" tab;

- Changing the start type of the "Softether VPN Client" service from "Automatic" to "Manual" in the "Computer Management > Services" section;

These 2 processes have not worked for about a month; Additionally, deleting all folders and icons related to Softether VPN in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" does not work either.

Currently, there is only one solution for users: open Task Manager and stop running Softether VPN components before shutting down the computer.

Dear developers, this new situation of your project is extremely annoying and does not suit your University of Tsukuba.

I extend greetings and best regards from Turkey,

solo

Re: Why can't Softether VPN's automatic startup be blocked in the usual way?

Post by solo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Taba wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:32 pm
Previously, the following 2 actions were sufficient to prevent Softether VPN from starting automatically with Windows
this new situation of your project is extremely annoying
After reading your post I immediately checked for a new SE client download, which apparently has changed everything for you, but no, there is nothing new, still only the 1 year old version available.

FYI, 3 actions are needed to prevent SE client starting:
  1. stop the SE service
  2. remove SE shortcut from "Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
  3. remove SE from the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Taba

Post by Taba » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 pm

FYI, 3 actions are needed to prevent SE client starting:
stop the SE service
remove SE shortcut from "Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
remove SE from the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
Dear "solo",

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

I have already done the first two of your suggestions to prevent the automatic startup of SE Client and wrote it above:

"- Disable 2 Softether VPN components in "Task Manager> Startup" tab;
- Changing the start type of the "Softether VPN Client" service from "Automatic" to "Manual" in the "Computer Management> Services" section;
- ... Additionally, deleting all folders and icons related to Softether VPN in "C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu" does not work either."

Your third suggestion for making changes in "regedit" is unfortunately not working either; that is, if the computer is restarted while SE Client is running after doing all of these processes, the SE Client also automatically starts to run along with Windows.

Dear "solo", if a legitimate software cannot be prevented from running automatically with Windows, this is undesirable and is called "Malware behavior" by security experts.

That's why I wrote above, "Dear developers, this new situation of your project is extremely annoying and does not suit your University of Tsukuba."

As a result, the developers of the "VPN Gate - Softether VPN" project need to fix this inaccuracy.

Greetings and respect.

Note: My OS is Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (up to date)

solo

Post by solo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Taba wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 pm
if a legitimate software cannot be prevented from running automatically with Windows, this is undesirable and is called "Malware behavior" by security experts

deleting all folders and icons related to Softether VPN in "C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu" does not work either
Malware? This is an outrageous accusation. You're jumping to conclusions too quickly.

I wrote remove SE shortcut from "Start Menu\Programs\Startup" but you are removing completely irrelevant SE items from:
"C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu"

These numerous items under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SoftEther VPN Client" have nothing to do with auto-running SE client.

Again, here is the expanded path of the only one relevant SE shortcut to remove:
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\SoftEther VPN Client Manager Startup.lnk"

Also make sure that "SoftEther VPN Client UI Helper" is removed from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Hopefully this topic will end here.

Taba

Post by Taba » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Dear Developers,

Thank you very much for correcting the mistake I reported.

Wishing you outstanding success,

Taba

Post by Taba » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 am

(I deleted this message; because it was accidentally added a second time)
Last edited by Taba on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taba

Post by Taba » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:20 am

CORRECTION and ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
---------------------------------------------------------

In the previous post I reported that the error was corrected; but I was wrong; Turns out, the auto start event was changing from server to server; I just realized this:

For example, for the convenience of connecting, I create a special list using the "Add VPN Connection" feature with the servers in the "Public VPN Relay Servers" list with the ones close to me; in this list the server names are "New VPN Connection (2), (3), ..." looks like; that way, I can connect to many of them even when they don't appear on the main list.

Here are the servers that behave and do not behave in accordance with the process of turning off the automatic start feature from these servers:

Servers that reconnect automatically after restarting Windows while connected:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
European Union 62.133.35.246
Russian 95.161.28.102
Russian 94.19.196.53
Ukraine 93.188.35.148
Estonia 194.127.164.246

Servers that do not connect automatically after restarting Windows while connected:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
European Union 78.142.193.246
European Union 185.222.220.35
Slovenia 146.212.9.58
Italy 46.44.212.129

I bring this situation to the attention of the developers,

Taba

Post by Taba » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Malware? This is an outrageous accusation
Dear "solo", I have just noticed your second message above; so the response is delayed, sorry:

My English is not enough; But, unfortunately, you too are a person who does not read carefully or does not understand the text he is reading.

* First of all, you should learn that the words "Malware" and "Malware behavior" are not the same thing; for example, you are actually a good person; however, your behavior may be like a bad person; So, to say "This is an outrageous accusation" above is a very ignorant interpretation.

* When I started using a computer, the Windows operating system was not produced yet and you probably weren't born (I was once an expert analyzing "HijackThis" reports; at best you may have been born around that time) :)

* As a result, I am a dinosaur that knows very well both Windows and the operating systems before it. If you read what I have written above carefully and again, you will immediately realize that your answers are unnecessary and that you repeat what I have written as a solution;

In the meantime, the forum administrators decide when this topic will be closed, not you; you should learn that too :)

Stay well,

solo

Post by solo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:57 am

Taba wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:39 pm
I was once an expert analyzing "HijackThis"
I am a dinosaur that knows very well both Windows and the operating systems before it
your answers are unnecessary and that you repeat what I have written as a solution
The heydays are over and you struggle with basic concepts nowadays. This is your "solution"
  • mindlessly task-kill any SE process one can see
  • "deleting all folders and icons related to Softether"!
  • blame Russian and Ukrainian servers for "reconnect automatically after restarting Windows"
These are truly hilarious misconceptions. My advice again
  1. stop the SE service
  2. remove SE shortcut from "Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
  3. remove SE from the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
I had explained to you the Startup shortcut in excruciating detail already and I hope that you finally got it. Let's go over the other two.

For the registry, create and merge this REG file.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SoftEther VPN Client UI Helper"=-
Go to the "SoftEther VPN Client" folder and run these two commands.

vpnclient.exe /stop
vpnclient.exe /uninstall
Reboot Windows. No SoftEther component can possibly run after the reboot. Start VPN manually from the "SoftEther VPN Client" folder.

vpnclient.exe /usermode
A VPN connection preset for startup in the SE Manager will now be activated.

Taba

Post by Taba » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:49 am

@solo,

Despite my warnings, you still insist on repeating the same things. In this case, there are two possibilities for you: Either you are a child who wants to stand out by acting like a pedantic about unknown issues, or you are a person with psychological problems.

* If you are a child, I am not a babysitter and this is not a playground either; go play elsewhere!

* If you have psychological problems, this is beyond me; I am not a psychiatrist.

NOTE: You did not even understand what I wrote above by coloring it with blue, red, etc.; you will probably not understand this last of my writing. It is best to show this page to your father, mother or a relative; they take care of the rest.

fenice

Post by fenice » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 am

Guys

Please stop this argument as it's serving no useful purpose, just agree to disagree and move on.
Regards

Bill

Taba

Post by Taba » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Dear Developers,

I have a large number of email accounts and I check them all with Mozilla Thunderbird; That's why I usually run Thunderbird when I boot the computer for the first time.

But if I was connected to a server and forgot to disconnect before shutting down the computer (which is very normal), then when I turn on the computer and then Thunderbird, it is certain that I will face a very annoying situation; because:

- Now, all these e-mail accounts will start giving security warning and will not work; To solve this problem, I will have to log in to these accounts in a web browser and have the account provider send a security code to my account recovery emails separately, and I will also need to log in using these codes;

- Moreover, after logging in to these accounts, I will have to notify my account providers separately saying "I was the person who just tried to log in from this country; don't worry".

At least for this reason, SoftEther VPN Client should be prevented from automatically starting up with Windows at startup.

As a result, I specifically request the dear developers to solve this problem on behalf of me and users like me.

Best regards,

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:59 pm

I must admit, I watched this thread not very closely. So, excuse me if I start from the very beginning:
If you install the softether client, add a VPN connection, and dont check the option "set as startup connection" in the "connect" menu, the PC will start without changing your network settings. Only if you manually choose to connect, the VPN will be brought up.
Otherwise, only the virtual network card is installed but it is disconnected, and AFAIK does only sit there and waits until you connect to a VPN.
Where is the Problem?

Taba

Post by Taba » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm

Where is the Problem?
Dear "nobody12", thank you very much for your interest and response to the topic I started. Now I will try to answer your question "Where is the Problem?" to the extent that my English is sufficient :)

* Essentially, there is no fatal problem; As I mentioned before, I have been using the "VPN Gate" project for a long time and with pleasure.

* The (non-fatal) problem I mentioned in my first post above is that it is not possible to prevent the automatic startup of SE Client with Windows using the usual methods (which I mentioned in the same message).

* One of the annoying things that I often encountered because of this problem was: If I shut down the computer while connected to a server without disconnecting this connection, when I turn the computer back on, that connection is automatically restored. Here is the problem, which you asked "Where?" :)

Greetings and best regards,

One final note and explanation:

1) After opening this topic, in my fourth message I added above, I stated that the problem in question is not permanent and may vary depending on the server that is connected to. Now I realized that this problem is changing depending on the time factor too; For example, I had this problem yesterday; But, at the time I am writing this message, there is no such thing anymore...

2) I think that only the dear developers know the secret of this strange problem that changes according to time and ground. So, to learn this secret, one must be a student at Tsukuba University at least; but unfortunately, i'm too old for that now... :)

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm

understood.
I tried that out just now. However I cannot verify this behaviour, because if I restart the PC (windows 10 2004) when the connection is active, it will not shutdown within a timely manner (waited 5min+). I have to force the restart by pressing the power button >10sec.
When I startup the PC again, the connection is not automatically restored, but that might be because of the forced shutdown.
Will your PC shutdown without force, if a connection is active?
I have a spare windows 8 (virtual) PC somewhere. I wll give this a try.
However, are you sure this happens not only on your computer, hve you tried different PCs also?

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:43 pm

I tried that out today with another W10 and a W81 PC.
Both will not automatically start the VPN after a restart, regardless if a connection was online during the restart or no
Maybe this is a special problem with your setup?
I dont know how it is meant to work. I only know the option to force a connection online during start. So I would expect that otherwise no connection will be brought up automatically.

Taba

Post by Taba » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Dear "nobody12",

You wrote that you did not encounter such a problem in Windows 10; I tried it too, you are right. Between us: I'm watching in amazement how users endure Windows 10. Because:

- Windows 10 has been beta since 6 years: Microsoft has been making fun of us (i.e. its customers) by changing its major version number twice a year (every 6 months) and its minor version number 50 times (once a week). So I have never used Windows 10 as the main operating system; I also do not think I will use it from now on.

- Well, despite all this, does Windows 10 have any superior or advanced features over previous operating systems?

- No, it doesn't have any superiority. Moreover, Windows 10's processing speed is lower than previous versions. Ha, I almost forgot; Windows 10 excels in one thing: The agents (which are called official spyware or trojans) our uncle Bill Gates has put into operating systems to track us and collect private information are very numerous in Windows 10 and are very advanced.

This has been the case since my Uncle Bill (if he hears what I say, gets angry at me and says "Get smaller, get smaller and get in my pocket!"; because I'm older than him in age) retired himself and replaced him with an Indian CEO. This Ceo is constantly playing with Windows 10 as if it were a toy to show himself as hardworking. :)

Returning to our topic:

Our problem is that SoftEther VPN starts automatically with Windows. There is a strangeness in this problem that cannot be prevented by the usual methods:

The problem is not permanent but variable. It has been determined that it behaves differently from server to server, from system to system and from country to country. Moreover, it can change over time.

Now, only the dear developers know the secret of this strange problem, which I am not curious about too much :)

Once again, thank you very much for investigating the issue privately. Greetings and best regards; stay healthy,

NOTE: The problem in question also depends on the type of connection to the Internet (Ethernet or Wi-Fi); For example, if the connection is wireless, the problem does not occur.