problem with client on Ubuntu

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
skaros

problem with client on Ubuntu

Post by skaros » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am

Hi, I am trying to connect to a VPN using Softether, I think I have installed the client on my local machine, running Ubuntu Linux 18.04.
Mostly I followed the information from here https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how ... -on-linux/
when I run vpncmd and check the status I am getting

Code: Select all

All checks passed. It is most likely that SoftEther VPN Server / Bridge can operate normally on this system.

The command completed successfully.
but when I run the

2. Management of VPN Client
and leave the host IP empty, I am getting an error

Error occurred. (Error code: 1)
Connection to the server failed. Check network connection and make sure that address and port number of destination server are correct.
Do we have any idea why this happens?

Is it possible to use some other vpn client in order to connect to a softether vpn server?
Thank you

kotten

Re: problem with client on Ubuntu

Post by kotten » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 pm

skaros wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am
Is it possible to use some other vpn client in order to connect to a softether vpn server?
Thank you
You likely have forgotten to start the vpnclient

vpnclient start (or sudo vpnclient start)

I am not sure how the application communicates with the vpnclient, but based on the ability to connect to other application I assume it uses the network so maybe add iptables -i lo -j ACCEPT if you feel okay about allowing all traffic on the loopback interface.