Bridge - Only DHCP is working

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
windoofer

Bridge - Only DHCP is working

Post by windoofer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi, i want to bridge my local network to a different site. The bridge is online and it looks like its working but the client which i connect to the second site gets only an dhcp andress from my dhcp server from the mainsite. I can not ping the client from my mainsite or any server/switch or something else from the second site/client.

My Setup:

Main Site:
Esxi host with an windows server 2019 vm. softether vpn server is installed on that vm. the vm has 2 nics. one connected to the servernetwork and one to a different client vlan. both networks are virtual networks on the esx server which are tagged networks to the same coreswitch uplink.

Offsite:
a router which connects the second location with the mainsite over vpn (lancom -> fortigate). The softether server in the mainsite is only over internal networks or vpn available. Hardware: Just a normal pc with windows server 2019 and softether installed.

I have never seen such a problem like that, where the ip-adressallocation via dhcp works but the dhcp-server is not available via ping or something else.
all clients and servers are in the same domain. i think this is not a problem with the windowsfirewall.

windoofer

Re: Bridge - Only DHCP is working

Post by windoofer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 pm

OK. Blame on me. Typical RTFM!
I did not activate the promiscuous-mode on the virtual switch on the esxi host.

But now i have one more question: Connecting one single Subnet is working fine, but when i connect a switch at the second site, it does not work. Im realy shure that this is a wrong configuration of the esxi server/vswitch.
I created a new virtual network "Softether" on the esxi host and connected it to a vSwitch. on both the promiscuous-mode is active. As far as i know i can assign the virtual network only one vlan. how is it possible that the virtual netzwork "Softether" sends all vlan tags over the vSwitch to the physical network adapter?

I already tested the vlan tag 4095 on the virtual network. With that setting im getting again a dhcp adress, but there is no communication possible between the physical switch and the mainsite. the physical switch in the offsite location receives an adress for every single vlan. (I activated management ip/dhcp for every vlan on that switch, so that i can check if its communicating with the main site). But i noticed that the communication is realy slow.... it needs minutes to get an ip for every single vlan.

it works fine if i connect the second site to a different vpn-server which is a physical machine in the mainsite.

windoofer

Post by windoofer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 pm

Ok, strange thing is if i connect a client behind the switch in the second site, the client is wotking fine and i can reach the client from the main site. but i cant reach the switch in the second site. i dont know why this is so strange with a virtual softether server

windoofer

Post by windoofer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Are there any default limitations? broadcasts/packets/s?