What is the difference between the SoftEther Project and SoftEther Corperation (PacketiX)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
andrewfer000

What is the difference between the SoftEther Project and SoftEther Corperation (PacketiX)

Post by andrewfer000 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:03 pm

I just wanted to ask someone who has been around for a long time what is the real difference between the SoftEther VPN Project (https://softether.org) and SoftEther Corporation's commercial PacketIX VPN (https://www.softether.jp/)? Is there any real difference? Is PacketiX even still an active product or is it phasing out in favor of the SoftEther VPN project? Does the existence of PacketiX put SoftEther at risk of being abandoned? I doubt that last thing but I was just curious. SoftEther Corporation's website is in Japanese so I have trouble translating most of it but maybe I'll try translating the webpage in google.

Last time I checked, The features were the same between SE Project and PacketiX so I'm just confused about the motives behind SE VPN project and how it is related to PacketiX.

andrewfer000

Re: What is the difference between the SoftEther Project and SoftEther Corperation (PacketiX)

Post by andrewfer000 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm

I came to some kind of answer after doing a lot of reading and translating. So I guess that while PacketiX and SoftEther are made by the same person and have the same features, the SoftEther VPN Project is separate from PacketiX. SoftEther is it's own independent project that was based off the old PacketiX 3.0 software when it was open sourced and development continued as an academic and general open source project. Also based on what I read PacketiX and SoftEther Corporation exists because of some kind of legal reason with the Japanese government, Mitsubishi, and some other corporations in japan. I am hoping this is true so I do not have to fear that one day SoftEther VPN will suddenly disappear and be replaced with PacketiX.