Azure single VM - Best option for optimal performance and resource usage

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rcocchiararo

Azure single VM - Best option for optimal performance and resource usage

Post by rcocchiararo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi There

A friend and i were battling openvpn server in 2 different "small shop setups" (he gives support to a small business still using windows xp clients, windows 7 for "server" and a linksys router. I manage a small ONG setup, with precarious on site stuff, but i managed to get a sponsored Azure subscription where i created a win2019 server), when we learned about softether.

He installed it on the win7 machine and all was good.

In my case, i installed it on my azure virtual 2019 server, and... it was not so easy :P

My setup had only 1 virtual machine with no DHCP.

I first managed to get it working with securenat, virtual nat and virtual DHCP.

Then i started reading (yeah, always in the wrong order :P) and found out about worse performance and more resorce usage.

I really doubt we will ever have issues, because we have only 2 employees and 1 technical support, but still, i want to do this right.

I read that azure has no support for promiscuos mode, but bridging seems to work anyways.

Options i got working:

Windows DHCP + local bridge to the only virtual network card > RDP to VM original internal IP
Softether DHCP + local bridge to a 2nd network card on the same or different segment as the original one > RDP to vm second card IP (no idea how to get it working without an IP here, the other card is not reachable)
Softether DHCP + softether vpn client on the VM > RDP to the manual IP set to the softether virtual vpn adapter

All of these work, i just want to dedicate as little resources as posible to the vpn, while getting the best posible performance.
Since we have very few users (2 on working ours, 1 tech support, 1 external accountant and me), i could go with manual IPs if its needed for some reason.

rcocchiararo

Re: Azure single VM - Best option for optimal performance and resource usage

Post by rcocchiararo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:16 pm

I went with the VM using the clinet too.

If a better way arrises, ill change it.