SoftEther.net redirect goes to web server not VPN server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Grayson

SoftEther.net redirect goes to web server not VPN server

Post by Grayson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm

I misconfigured the DDNS entry and now the ****.softether.net redirects all traffic to the admin page of my webserver (rather unsecure.

How can I get these DNS entries deleted? Yes, in true newbie form, I did it twice. I don't know what I'm doing and have deleted the software from my PC without documenting the settings.

ethanolson

Re: SoftEther.net redirect goes to web server not VPN server

Post by ethanolson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:10 am

Your DDNS entry directs ***.softether.net to your public IP address. Now for the part that matters: port forwarding. Your public IP address can only have one destination per port number, so if tcp port 80 and tcp port 443 point to your web server then that's where the web traffic will go. If you use a different port for SoftEther, such as tcp port 5555 then ensure your router/firewall/gateway forwards that port to SoftEther. Once that's done, stop SoftEther from listening on port 443 (remember, 443 goes to your web server). Now restart the SoftEther service just in case.

At this point, you're probably ready to setup a client connection to ***.softether.net over port 5555. You know it's working when your virtual hub shows up in the dropdown below the address and port fields.