Can ping server but no access to anything

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mrpijey

Can ping server but no access to anything

Post by mrpijey » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am

Hello!

I have now for a day been pulling my hair about an issue I can't seem to solve. What I am basically trying to do is setup a VPN connection to one of my external servers to get access to its resources. I can connect to the VPN server and I can ping it, but I can't access anything on it. No website, no shares or anything.

This is how it's laid out:

Server (external):

Windows server running Hyper-V with a single NIC, with a Hyper-V virtual switch tied to the NIC but which shares its connection with the host (thus having a vEthernet device on the host). The vEthernet device is set to DHCP to get an IP from the ISP. No local DHCP service. Server runs IIS website, a few local shares.

SoftEther Server is installed, with a virtual hub but no local bridge. Virtual DHCP is enabled with standard values, 192.168.30.1 with a DHCP scope of 192.168.30.10 to 20. No NAT. Gateway and DNS are set to 192.168.30.1. Standard settings.

Client (connecting to the server):

Standard install of the client, uses port 5555, no NAT-T enabled. Created a VPN interface, tied in the virtual hub in the connection profile. Standard settings. Changed the interface metrics on the VPN client interface to 100 to make sure not all traffic goes through the VPN link.

---

So, when connecting to the server it connects, it gets an IP in the 192.168.30.10 - 20 range. I can ping 192.168.30.1 which is the server. But nothing can be accessed on it.

I've checked numerous guides on setups - I've tried to setup a local bridge to the vEthernet device as well as the NIC directly. I've tried with and without NAT options enabled. I have tried with and without "No adjustment of routing table". The client doesn't need to access anything beyond the server so it doesn't need to be able to talk to any other systems or destinations other than the server itself.

But regardless what I try I can never get it to respond to any services. All I can do is ping. But I can't see or connect to any of the local shares, and port 80 on the web service doesn't respond.

I am out of luck atm and don't know what to do. All I want is just to access the main server so I can have backup software talk to the Hyper-V host, that's all. My knowledge regarding VPN and routing is fairly limited, but since I am not interested in accessing anything beyond the server itself I wouldn't think it would need any routing or whatever, and it should be enough to access the server by 192.168.30.1. But no.

Any ideas?

mrpijey

Re: Can ping server but no access to anything

Post by mrpijey » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am

Managed to sort it in a way:

I setup a new private virtual switch in Hyper-V manager which creates a secondary virtual ethernet adapter, added a fixed IP to it (192.168.30.1), then created a bridge in SoftEther and tied it to it. I also had to add a firewall exception to allow all traffic to and from that IP. I could then also disable the virtual DHCP in SoftEther and set a fixed IP on the client VPN side (192.168.30.10). So now I can ping the server, and access its resources as well, including the Hyper-V services which are required for my backup solution (Veeam).