DDNS incorrect on OpenVPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Stubblemonster

DDNS incorrect on OpenVPN

Post by Stubblemonster » Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Hiya,

I have set up OpenVPN. When I generate the config file though it doesn't get my DDNS name right.

DDNS Name (made up obviously for this) my-server.softether.net

OpenVPN config makes it my-server.v4.softether.net

OK, so I change the server in the OpenVPN config to the correct one. This get's further but doesn't seem to work, I have to have client certificate authentication for the user, this fails TLS because... it's expecting my-server.v4.softether.net

Anyone know what is going on here? I can't see reference to that v4 portion anywhere in Softether config.

Thanks

Graham

centeredki69

Re: DDNS incorrect on OpenVPN

Post by centeredki69 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:32 am

If you return the hostname back to the "my-server.v4.softether.net" and populate the user certificate & Key info into lower area of the OpenVPN file and it will connect to your server.

If you "ping" my-server.v4.softether.net or my-server.softether.net you will see they both correspond to your internet IP address. Its something to do with the way SE DDNS servers separates the V4 and V6 dynamic update. They just chose to utilize the "my-server.v4.softether.net" version for the openVPN sample certificate . If you go into the DDNS area of the "SE server manager" and hit the "Hint" button you will see a reference to this alternate address.