What's the easiest way to connect over VPNAzure from Mac OS X Catalina?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
genesys

What's the easiest way to connect over VPNAzure from Mac OS X Catalina?

Post by genesys » Mon May 04, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm currently tying to connect my SoftEther VPN Server over VPNAzure from Mac OS X Catalina.

I have to use VPNAzure since my server is behind a NAT that can't be traversed by direct SoftEther client connection.

VPNAzure does not support L2TP however, only SoftEtherVPN Client as well as SSTP, so the native OS X VPN client cannot be used.

What are my options?

There is a SoftEther VPN Client download for Mac OS X platform, however there are no binaries distributed and it's labelled as 'Experimental' with recommendation against using it.

Then there is the option to launch the Windows OpenVPN client using Wine. This works (even though Wine has no Catalina support yet due to Catalina dropping 32bit code execution support). I can install the windows client and the client configuration manager opens, however "Create New Virtual Network Adapter" fails with a null pointer exception.

I also found a SoftEtherGUI project (http://softethergui.lastgrid.com/download/) but this seems to be abandoned.

So - how to properly run SoftEther VPN (not L2TP) on Mac OS X?

sky59

Re: What's the easiest way to connect over VPNAzure from Mac OS X Catalina?

Post by sky59 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Install virtual windows and use windows client manager

Next time buy better computer :)

genesys

Post by genesys » Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm

sky59 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 pm
Install virtual windows and use windows client manager

Next time buy better computer :)
not helpful

sky59

Post by sky59 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 am

If you can not do this ask someone else

cnoellert

Post by cnoellert » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 am

genesys wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:07 pm

I also found a SoftEtherGUI project (http://softethergui.lastgrid.com/download/) but this seems to be abandoned.

So - how to properly run SoftEther VPN (not L2TP) on Mac OS X?
The above works fine. Install and run it. If you’re in dark mode the icon in the menu bar will be damn near impossible to see, but click to the left of your last icon start the software, make your profile and connect. It’s not the best written piece of code but it works.

Good luck.