Problems with broadcast packets?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
DrKlenk

Problems with broadcast packets?

Post by DrKlenk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with a Soft Ether VPN Client, that I can't resolve.

I setup the VPN Server in our companies network to offer remote work from home. The clients should access network devices such as our file server or sql server, and it works really fine. The VPN clients are also supposed to make phone calls using a softphone which connects to our telephone system, which runs in our companies network. It worked really fine for several users (5 users), but the sixth user is having issues / timeouts. I don't get the reason for it, since all users were added in the same way.

The server log shows especially for this one vpn client a lot of warnings/errors: "A large volume of broadcast packets has been detected. There are cases where packets are discarded based on the policy. The source MAC address is 5E-83-63-0B-4A-4E, the source IP address is x.x.x.183 (asigned IP in company network), the destination IP address is x.0.0.251. The number of broadcast packets is equal to or larger than 56 items per 1 second (note this information is the result of mechanical analysis of part of the packets and could be incorrect)." (There are always several entries with the same timestamp, but differenz destination IPs, usually 2 entries per timestamp).

It seems, that this has a big impact on providing the VoIP softphone, I get a lot of timeouts trying to connect to the telephone system. The other users get this warning/error, too, but their performance is not being taken down by that, also the numbers of entries is much lower.

Do you have an idea how to improve the connection?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
DrKlenk

DrKlenk

Re: Problems with broadcast packets?

Post by DrKlenk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Another particularity: it works best just right after initializing the vpn connection. The worker is now disconnecting and reconnecting before every single call. Isn't there another solution?

kilbz

Re: Problems with broadcast packets?

Post by kilbz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:09 am

There is a security policy called "Unlimited Number of Broadcasts". I believe that would resolve the warning/error "A large volume of broadcast packets has been detected..."
If you set that policy at a group level make sure the user is assigned to that group in order to inherit the policy.