Want to connect to work computer

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
workplaece

Want to connect to work computer

Post by workplaece » Fri May 24, 2019 6:31 pm

My company does not have VPN connectivity from non-office laptops... not that they do not allow it necessarily, but don't provide any software means. I currently have remote pc access as well as admin rights on the machine... with the warning just not to install any virus on it. I plan on informing the team lead if softether works on the company computer...

What I would like to achieve is set up softether as a VPN server on company computer, leave it there as is, bridge the connection to the network and connect to the server from home computer using softether VPN or Windows 10 VPN. Is this feasible?

Tried setting it up with/without Azure VPN connectivity and just didn't seem to work... I notice on Dynamic DNS setting, the IVv6 DDNS Server is unreachable. Is it issue with Port Forwarding and/or IP address not being public? I don't mind if it is dynamic IP addressing, I can always remote in to check the IP address of the computer and adjust/change if needed...

Just wondering if this setup is feasible without asking for any specific network changes/data from the system admin... or if you suggest some other method of achieving it...

Thnks.

centeredki69

Re: Want to connect to work computer

Post by centeredki69 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Yes this is feasible. AT WORK SITE 1) Install the "SE SERVER" software on the computer at work. 2) Create a "Virtual HUB" and a "Username and password" on the same HUB. 3) create a "local Bridge" connecting the "Virtual HUB" you just created to the computers NIC adapter. 4) Enable Dynamic DNS and write down or copy the "vpnxxxxxxx.softether.net" address it gives you. Note this computer must have public internet access. AT THE HOME SITE A) Install the "SE CLIENT" software. B) Add new VPN connection. (it will prompt you to create a virtual adapter -do so) C)"Setting Name": what ever you want to call it D) "Host name" enter the "vpnxxxxxxx.softether.net" , E) Port : choose 443 or 5555, F) "Virtual Hub Name": click the drop down over and over till the name of the Virtual HUB you created on the server at work pops up. If nothing pops up the client can not see the server and will not work. G) enter username and password. H) try to connect. you should get a popup showing you received a IP address from the work DHCP server.

maliwari

Post by maliwari » Mon May 27, 2019 12:41 pm

centeredki69 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm
Yes this is feasible. AT WORK SITE 1) Install the "SE SERVER" software on the computer at work. 2) Create a "Virtual HUB" and a "Username and password" on the same HUB. 3) create a "local Bridge" connecting the "Virtual HUB" you just created to the computers NIC adapter. 4) Enable Dynamic DNS and write down or copy the "vpnxxxxxxx.softether.net" address it gives you. Note this computer must have public internet access. AT THE HOME SITE A) Install the "SE CLIENT" software. B) Add new VPN connection. (it will prompt you to create a virtual adapter -do so) C)"Setting Name": what ever you want to call it D) "Host name" enter the "vpnxxxxxxx.softether.net" , E) Port : choose 443 or 5555, F) "Virtual Hub Name": click the drop down over and over till the name of the Virtual HUB you created on the server at work pops up. If nothing pops up the client can not see the server and will not work. G) enter username and password. H) try to connect. you should get a popup showing you received a IP address from the work DHCP server.
Thanks for the detailed explanation but the public IP is the one from the ISP, right.
If I use DSL connection, is it possible to use it ?
Thanks.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Yes the public IP is the one issued by your ISP. It should work with DSL, Cable, Fiber ect.

workplaece

Post by workplaece » Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 am

centeredki69 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm
Note this computer must have public internet access.
Not sure if this is an obvious question but... what do you mean by this? Does it mean it has internet connection via another means such as WIFI? Does it mean the company firewall must forward the computer's IP address to the public..? Not sure what is exactly needed... because the computer sits behind the firewall... is part of the computer network... it does have ethernet wired connection as well as WIFI. One of the wifi is a guest network... so should I connect it to that? Don't have lot of experience with network settings yet... Thnks...

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am

I just meant that this computer needs internet access. Meaning don't install it on some old PC in the corner of the office that is used only for printing and does not have internet assess.
Use the PC you mentioned that has the wired NIC and it should be fine. You should not need the WIFI. The SE client should be able to penetrate the firewall however this is not always the case with commercial grade firewalls. The only way to find out is to try it.

workplaece

Post by workplaece » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:07 pm

I have the following settings... where do I create the local bridge...?
1.PNG
2.PNG
Thnks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:25 pm

First you need to login to the SERVER not just the HUB .
Annotation 2019-06-05 1.jpg
Then all the options that a grayed out will work.
Annotation 2019-06-05 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

workplaece

Post by workplaece » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 pm

So are the following server settings look alright?

I am getting this error for IPV6 address...
1.PNG
Should I enable Azure setting?
2.PNG
Getting TCP 443 error:
3.PNG
So from home I would use the softether.net address to connect?

Thnks!
Last edited by workplaece on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

I am getting this error for IPV6 address...
- that is fine
Should I enable Azure setting?
-Yes you can if you like. This will give you 2nd address to try from home. The Azure might work if the other does not ( you need to choose 443 on the client at home.
Getting TCP 443 error:
- I have never had that error. Try stop and then start.
So from home I would use the softether.net address to connect?
- Yes or use the vpnxxxxxxx.vpnazure.net the server gives you once you activate the VPN Azure feature
You also need to create a LOCAL BRIDGE. Choose the VPN HUB in dropdown and then choose the "none WIFI" LAN adapter in dropdown

workplaece

Post by workplaece » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:56 pm

"You also need to create a LOCAL BRIDGE. Choose the VPN HUB in dropdown and then choose the "none WIFI" LAN adapter in dropdown"
Do you mean on the client side..?

PS: Also where on the server are login user/password defined..?

Thnks.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:19 pm

"You also need to create a LOCAL BRIDGE. Choose the VPN HUB in dropdown and then choose the "none WIFI" LAN adapter in dropdown"
Do you mean on the client side..
-NO on the server SEE BELOW
Annotation 2019-06-05 2.jpg
Also where on the server are login user/password defined..?
- highlight HUB ---> Manage virtual HUB---->manage users---> NEW ( create user) use this same info to set up client

workplaece

Post by workplaece » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 pm

It WORKED!!! Wow thnks. I was pleasantly surprised...

maliwari

Post by maliwari » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:08 am

centeredki69 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am
I just meant that this computer needs internet access. Meaning don't install it on some old PC in the corner of the office that is used only for printing and does not have internet assess.
Use the PC you mentioned that has the wired NIC and it should be fine. You should not need the WIFI. The SE client should be able to penetrate the firewall however this is not always the case with commercial grade firewalls. The only way to find out is to try it.
Hi I'm sorry to jump it.
I'd like to know for the server PC, is it compulsory to have a wired NIC or a WiFi adapter is OK.
My PC doesn't have any ethernet port, only a WiFi adpater?

bossof95

Post by bossof95 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 pm

I know this is a old thread but iam unable to access lan network after setting up vpn from client. Local bridge is done and also securenat. Do i need to use different ip on vpn for local ips.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Turn off SecureNat. Do not use SecureNat and Local bridge at the same time on the same virtual HUB. With local bridge enabled the VPN clients connecting to the SE-server will receive an ip address from the Same DHCP server the SE server HOST gets its IP address from. You should then have access to your remote LAN

rakkioo7

Post by rakkioo7 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:36 am

I recently implied that this PC needs web access. These means don't introduce it on some old PC toward the edge of the workplace that is utilized uniquely for printing and doesn't have web evaluation. Utilize the PC you referenced that has the wired NIC and it ought to be fine. You ought not to require the WIFI. The SE customer ought to have the option to infiltrate the firewall anyway this isn't generally the situation with business-grade firewalls. The best way to discover is to attempt it.