Cannot set up VPN Server - Access has been denied

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Sandy-Bridge

Cannot set up VPN Server - Access has been denied

Post by Sandy-Bridge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Hello,

I reinstalled SoftEther VPN Server on my server today to reset it's configuration. I uninstaleld it through the Control Panel and deleted the installation folder, then reinstalled the latest 4.20 RTM version. But now, I can no longer set it up. The Server Manager starts, and asks me to set an admin password when connecting to localhost. But when I set the password, it tells me "Access has been denied". I have checked NTFS permissions on both the installation folder and the server config file and have tried a different location to install.

thisjun

Re: Cannot set up VPN Server - Access has been denied

Post by thisjun » Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 am

You forget password for sever management.
Please delete folder after uninstalling software.

StephenB

Post by StephenB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:05 am

thisjun wrote:
> You forget password for sever management.
> Please delete folder after uninstalling software.

I'm encountering the same issue - deleting the folder does NOT work. The instructions provided here also do NOT work:

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... r_password.

The document doesn't specify whether to delete the entire "HashedPassword" line or just the hashed password - but I've tried both (making sure to stop the service beforehand & restart it after) and neither makes any difference. After uinstalling & reinstalling, the previous settings are still present in the Server Manager & I still can't connect or reset the password.

Are there any steps to reset the admin password - or at least fully remove the old settings so the software can reinstalled and reconfigured? That is, any steps to do that which actually WORK?

StephenB

Post by StephenB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:39 am

Update for anyone else with the same issue: finally got it to work with the info here:

http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f ... er.#p11029

Basically, I had stop the service, then delete the hashed password line from the config file, then restart the service, then edit the connection in the manager application to use port 5555 instead of 443, and then it finally prompted me to select a new password.

desperados

Post by desperados » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:13 am

this issue is still active, I cant change password from GUI

Vortex93

Post by Vortex93 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:03 am

Same here, I am unable to change password after removing it from the config.