Assigning IP Addresses

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Lindeamon

Assigning IP Addresses

Post by Lindeamon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi,

i have an adsl router with Nat and dhcp and wifi connected to the same switch with server running windows 2012 r2,hyper-v and 4 VM's.
on one of the VM's i want to install Softether VPN server utilizing the SSTP clone feature and i want it to allocate an ip address from the same subnet that the adsl router allocates but i want to be able to allocate different ip addresses from the one's allocated by the router's dhcp and even different ip address for different users\groups.
in Microsoft's remote access i can select which ip range i use for the vpn connections and using a NPS policy i can allocate specific ip address for specific users\groups.

how can i do it using softether only ? i do not want to use radius or any other supplement other then softether.

Regards,
Lindeamon

kh_tsang

Re: Assigning IP Addresses

Post by kh_tsang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Assuming you use SSTP only.

If I were you, I would not use SoftEther VPN.
SSTP server is already supported by Windows Server. You can enable it in routing and remote access.

Lindeamon

Post by Lindeamon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 am

thank you for your reply.

if there will be no possible way to do what i want with softether, i will use microsoft but i want to make sure there is no way to do it with softether.

beside the ability to use certificates as a way to login, do you think using the softether vpn client is better ? and if i won't use "SSTP Clone" ?

Regards,
Lindeamon

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 am

If I were you, I would use SoftEther VPN only if transmitting Ethernet frames over the VPN is necessary(using the SoftEther VPN protocol).

Otherwise, I would use RRAS because I can get commercial support from Microsoft.

Lindeamon

Post by Lindeamon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 am

can you give me an example for transferring Ethernet frames ?

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:08 pm

After searching some information online, there is no advantage at all except the cost.
Last edited by kh_tsang on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindeamon

Post by Lindeamon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm

thank you for your time.

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:17 pm

*I changed my comment above.

Therefore, I would use RRAS instead of SoftEther if I have a Windows Server as a VPN Server. Both RRAS and SoftEther provide GUI interface.

Lindeamon

Post by Lindeamon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:32 pm

i wanted to use softether because i like the program and i want to give remote access to my internal network.
i loved the packet filtering options and the management as opposing to microsoft's.
i want to block access to internal resources based on ip address {for ex. ip management of my switch} and with softether i can not do that.
it seems that i will have to use RRAS.

Regards,
Lindeamon

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:08 pm

You should still be able to do that with RRAS. However, you will need to make your own list of IP addresses assigned to the users and configure the filtering rules based on source IP address and destination IP address.