Why does SoftEther require service to run when not in use?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
orangestickyUK

Why does SoftEther require service to run when not in use?

Post by orangestickyUK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:55 pm

I have been using 2014.07.29-build-9473.130238 on Win 7 but have recently uninstalled SoftEther as part of ongoing computer hygiene.

The service was set to autostart at startup. I can't remember whether or not SoftEther would function when the service was manually started. But I do remember that if I killed the service,, then I would need to restart the whole computer before the service would function.

The service also stays busy while unused, using minimal resources, but still some.

SoftEther and VPNgate seem pretty useful, so thanks to the dev for bringing it out. However, I'm nervous about making ongoing use of a program which uses network (even if local) and memory resources when it's not in use.
I understand that the program was designed basically as an experiment, but now it seems the experiment has taken off (yay! ;)

Are there any plans to redesign it to be more efficient?
In particular: a default sleep state should not be establishing network connections.

kh_tsang

Re: Why does SoftEther require service to run when not in us

Post by kh_tsang » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm

You may get rid of Softether VPN client by using SSTP and L2TP/IPsec.

Starting and stopping services require Administrator privileges.

orangestickyUK

Post by orangestickyUK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Ummmm...?

Sorry, I don't understand the technology at a very detailed level-

Are you saying that I should set up SoftEther differently so as to use SSTP / L2TP?
Or are you saying that Windows has an interface to control those protocols?

I have administrator privileges, of course. The problem is not so much how to stop SoftEther using system resources (I can simply kill everything), though it would be nice if it all terminated automatically on close. The problem is that if I close and kill things until they are not using resources anymore, then SoftEther cannot connect when I want to use it again (unless I restart computer).

If I do what you're suggesting (and I'm not sure what that is!), are you saying that I will then be able to close down SoftEther to a state where it uses no resources and then open it up again so it is ready to use?

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:41 am

Go to services.msc to start or stop the vpn client services.

SSTP and L2TP/IPsec is comnected using Windows built-in client.

orangestickyUK

Post by orangestickyUK » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Ah, so maybe this is a bug you didn't know about.
I know how to start and stop services.

The problem is that if I stop the service, then when I restart it, SoftEther acts as if it is not started. That's why I need to reset the computer. I've had problems getting Softether to work (I guess it doesn't recognise the service?) if the service is started manually, instead of autostarting at boot.

It wouldn't be a problem, as in I wouldn't want to stop the service anyway, but for the fact that it continues to use resources, and attempts to establish connections (not sure if these are only to 127.0.0.1, or if they are also to others) while Softether is terminated. (There is no other VPN functionality on my machine.) I don't see why this resource use and attempts at establishing connections are necessary.

My apologies if the description of this bug is a bit vague, or contains holes. I have uninstalled Softether now, so couldn't necessarily reproduce it.

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:27 pm

I just tested with 4.18-9570 and it works properly even I stopped the service and start again later.

orangestickyUK

Post by orangestickyUK » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:42 pm

OK, well thanks.
I realise that I haven't tested in an isolated enough environment and do not have detailed enough notes for either of us to be able to replicate the condition. I promise I will do if I install SoftEther again! (since you seem to be supporting the software well here)

What about the service actively running, that is- using resources and trying to establish connections, while Softether process has stopped? Do you know why that is? Is it part of the design?

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I have no idea about why there must be a system service running but I know it has some network traffic even if there is no VPN connections.