LAN to LAN - Wired to Wireless - Possible?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
wwillett

LAN to LAN - Wired to Wireless - Possible?

Post by wwillett » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:15 pm

I am trying to set up a Lan to Lan connection between 2 small offices. I have installed VPN Server in one office on a PC that has a wired connection and am able to connect into that from other PCs using the VPN Client. In the other office all I have to work with is PCs with wireless connections. I am trying to set up a Bridge on one of those. I have not been successful. I have read that you might have problems with a local Bridge connection via a wireless adapter because Windows no longer supports promiscuous mode in its drivers.

Is it possible to set up a LAN to LAN bridge between 2 offices if all you have is Wireless PCs in one of the offices? If so, are there any special steps I need to take?

Thanks

BoredAus

Re: LAN to LAN - Wired to Wireless - Possible?

Post by BoredAus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:01 am

Not that I have any solution to your problem but I just want to comment on having an office that uses only WiFi is a really bad idea. Especially if all these networked computers that uses only WiFi are linked to one computer which has only one wireless NIC.

Wireless networks operate similar to the way wired network hubs used to operate, that is the more nodes connected to the hub and the more traffic that flows through it the more congestion there will be as a result. Worse, existing external influences would impair the performance of wireless networking.

A wireless AP or a router that acts like AP may solve the issue with promisc. mode as then the 'gateway' node should then be wired from the AP. Though that still would not solve the horrendous stability issues with WiFi in general.

dajhorn

Re: LAN to LAN - Wired to Wireless - Possible?

Post by dajhorn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 am

wwillett wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a LAN to LAN bridge between 2 offices if all you
> have is Wireless PCs in one of the offices?

Use an L3 routing configuration instead of an L2 bridge. The easiest solution is to set a static classless route to the SoftEther server in the DHCP lease of each WiFi client. Remember that routing tables must be updated on both sides of the VPN connection.

Alternatively, if you can change the AP hardware, then running SoftEther on OpenWRT can be a good solution.