Can the bridge be a client as well

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
regfixit

Can the bridge be a client as well

Post by regfixit » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi All,
Firstly let me say this is a fantastic project and the documentation is also very good and has helped me learn a lot about networking topics. I have a question that is probably something very quick to answer.

I have set up server on a Pi at home and local bridged to home LAN using separate network adapter as mentioned in local bridges.

I set up bridge on another Pi away from home and cascade connect to home Pi server. I have local bridge to eth0 (again this is dedicated to local bridge and not used for Pi itself).

If I plug another computer into remote Pi eth0 it gets IP address from my home LAN perfect. The Lan to Lan connection is working fine.

What I want to know is how to make the remote Pi itself able to access home network. Do I also need to run VPN client on the remote Pi, or how else to be able to access home LAN from remote Pi itself ?

In effect I want a route from remote Pi to 192.168.0.0/24 that goes via the Virtual Hub on the remote Pi

regfixit

Re: Can the bridge be a client as well

Post by regfixit » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:24 pm

I've managed to solve this. Not sure if it's the best way but this is what I did:

On the VPN bridge I added another local bridge to a new tap device called soft. This created a new network device called tap_soft on the remote pi. However, it had no IP address.

I then tried to add entry in /etc/network/interfaces like:
iface tap_soft inet dhcp
and then did ifup tap_soft. THis didn't really work as tap_soft got an ip address in 92.0.0.0 sub net so it didn't "see" the DHCP server on my home LAN.

I then tried instead the following:
allow-hotplug tap_soft
iface tap_soft inet manual
pre-up ifconfig tap_soft up 192.168.0.40
post-down ifconfig tap_soft down

This then worked and gave a fixed IP on the home LAN to the remote Pi. I am not sure if the hotplug part is relevant or not, but I added that because I wanted the assignment to happen as soon as vpnbridge starts up and creates the tap.

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:22 pm

This is a good solution. The allow-hotplug line is indeed required because SoftEther tap interfaces come online after physical interfaces are plumbed by the init stack.

Nemesiz

Post by Nemesiz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am

This is the only way to 'see' the network from vpn server or vpn bridge.

regfixit

Post by regfixit » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 am

Thank you both for your replies !