VPN and WEB server running on same machine - HOW?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dajhorn

Re: VPN and WEB server running on same machine - HOW?

Post by dajhorn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 pm

> 1.Do I really need a TAP interface?

Yes, this is the best solution, especially for a virtual machine.

> When I enabled secureNAT the virtual HUB got an IP (192.168.30.1) Why can't I access SERVER01 web server from clients using that IP?.

The gateway IP address that SoftEther creates automatically is not actually bound to an ethernet interface on the host, which confuses many people.

The computer running SoftEther and the SoftEther daemon itself must use separate IP addresses in the same virtual hub. You must therefore create an /etc/network/interfaces.d/softether.cfg file and put something like this in it:

allow-hotplug tap_MyVirtualHub
iface tap_MyVirtualHub inet dhcp
metric 300

Depending on how you do name resolution, a static IP address can be used instead. After rebooting, run `netstat -lntp` on the web server and verify that the http daemon is listening on the 0.0.0.0 ipv4 address or the :::80 ipv6 address.

Apache, in particular, has interface binding quirks. You may need to explicitly use the 0.0.0.0 ipv4 address in the /etc/apache2 configuration if the tap_MyVirtualHub interface is plumbed after the apache2 process starts.

> 2. The fact that the TAP interface got an IP from the virtual dhcp does it means that any other virtual machine running on the same host will be able to get a IP?

No.

> 3. Is this secure? I mean I don't want to mess all the network because I only want to have remote access to the virtual machine services.

Yes.

> 4. Azure and https kind of VPN is only compatible with the SoftEther client?.

Yes.

> How can I connect with android client using this setup?

Only the native OpenVPN client for android is likely to work well, and only if you can get a direct TCP or UDP forwarding into the VirtualBox VM without using the AzureVPN feature.

A better solution is to run SoftEther on an inexpensive VPS that assigns real IP addresses, and then make the Android phone (as a regular VPN client) and the VirtualBox VM (through a cascaded SoftEther server connection) clients of that VPS host.

thisjun

Re: VPN and WEB server running on same machine - HOW?

Post by thisjun » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:07 am

>3. Is this secure? I mean I don't want to mess all the network because I only want to have remote access to the virtual machine services.

Did you use Virtual NAT?
If you enable Virtual NAT, VPN client can access to other hosts on your LAN.