VPN Client Metric Issue

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dks.itservices

VPN Client Metric Issue

Post by dks.itservices » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:26 am

Hello

I am hoping someone on this forum can assist with a strange issue that started today.

I have SoftEther VPN set up in the office and it has been working with no issue. I am using SecureNat. The environment is Windows 10 for the server and clients. The VPN server is installed on Hyper-V VM.

Today, one user connected to the VPN and was getting the Globe icon - no internet access. So naturally they thought they did not have internet and reported the issue. I investigated and noted that despite the Globe icon, the VPN was connected, the office network was accessible and the internet seemed to be working. However, further instigation revealed that only some websites were working while others were not.

Subsequent to that, I was setting up a laptop remotely and I also was getting the Globe icon, the office network was accessible, and some websites were working but Windows updates, Epson updates, and other internet resources were not working.

I then troubleshot the issue and noted the following:

> The VPN is still working on some computers where the Ethernet icon is visible and there are no issues. On these devices, the SoftEther VPN network adapter is the default adapter when the VPN is connected.
> On the 2 devices where the globe is displayed, the Ethernet adapter is the default adapter despite the VPN adapter having a metric of 1.
> I ran route print and Get-NetIPInterface and confirmed that the VPN network adapter has the lowest metric yet the Ethernet adapter is being used as the default route when the VPN is connected.

I have deleted the VPN adapter, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the VPN client software to no avail. I have also restarted the VM hosting the VPN server.

So far there are only 2 computers where the VPN is connected with the Globe icon. Also it seems that everything on the office network is still accessible, the only issue is some resources that require internet do not work while other resources that use internet work. I can remote into the computer using remote access software, browse the internet, ping google.com and cnn.com etc. What does not work is Windows updates, Lenovo Vanatage updates and tracert is timing out.

I have tried searching online but all information found is from a persective where no devices are getting internet at all. In my cases, the issue is only affecting 2 computers. I want to resolve the issue before the issue affects all the computers.

Has anyone experienced this issue before or have any ideas what the issue could be?

solo

Re: VPN Client Metric Issue

Post by solo » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:50 am

dks.itservices wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:26 am
a strange issue that started today.
the issue is only affecting 2 computers
So these 2 had worked fine before. A Windows update has messed them up. As usual, a patch will be released shortly.

dks.itservices

Post by dks.itservices » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 pm

Hi

Thank you for your response.

Can you provide me with the link that speaks to which Windows update is affecting the VPN?

solo

Post by solo » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:35 am

The latest one, of course. But before you start rolling it back, can you re-confirm:
- those 2 had worked fine earlier
- all others are still OK
- you've changed nothing on the SE server
dks.itservices wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:26 am
...the VPN network adapter has the lowest metric yet the Ethernet adapter is being used as the default route when the VPN is connected.
Ask those clients to disable "SSDP Discovery" service.