Unable to Exclude Split Tunnels

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
lmaoBofi

Unable to Exclude Split Tunnels

Post by lmaoBofi » Fri May 12, 2023 10:14 pm

Hey! I am new to softether and vpngate. I am using vpngate servers and I wish to connect to some IP addresses directly, without routing through vpn. In other vpns, there were options of "Exclude Split Tunnel" or "Split Tunneling" but I can't see a similar option here in softether. How can I possibly achieve my goal?

solo

Re: Unable to Exclude Split Tunnels

Post by solo » Sat May 13, 2023 1:06 am

Split tunnels are used for connecting to eg office LAN which is not applicable in VPN Gate context of course. To achieve your goal, simply add static routes to non-VPN IPs.

lmaoBofi

Post by lmaoBofi » Sun May 14, 2023 3:40 pm

I am trying to understand what you are saying, but can you please tell me how and where to I add static routes? I am not much knowledged about these things. Or maybe refer me an article that explains how to do so? That would be of great help. I am trying to search it on google but I still have no idea what to do.

solo

Post by solo » Sun May 14, 2023 11:35 pm

lmaoBofi

Post by lmaoBofi » Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 am

Oh, this is so much better. Thanks a lot mate :)

dadaji7710

Post by dadaji7710 » Mon May 15, 2023 1:40 pm

Hi, first time user here. I tried Split tunneling and for some reason, it doesn't work in exclusion mode. I tried to have Edge as the browser that doesn't go through VPN but when I exclude it in the Split tunneling setting I can't connect to anything using Edge (rebooting doesn't solve this issue either). If I switch to use inclusion mode (meaning I choose Chrome to go through VPN only) then both Edge and Chrome worked as intended. I'm sure there must be a setting somewhere that I missed. Could someone help? TIA

solo

Post by solo » Tue May 16, 2023 2:31 am

This MS application-level "split tunneling" is clearly described here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... lit-tunnel

If you can not adapt it for SoftEther client, then connect to a SoftEther server in SSTP mode and use a ready-made script from https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... timization

nehakakar

Post by nehakakar » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:52 pm

Here's how you can do that.
1. Identify the IP addresses or subnets that you want to exclude from the VPN tunnel.
2. On your client machine, you can add custom routing table entries to route specific traffic outside of the VPN tunnel.
Here is the commands
Use the ip route or route command to add routing table entries.

Code: Select all

sudo ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via <gateway_IP>
Replace <gateway_IP> with the IP address of your local network gateway
Then test the connectivity to the excluded IP addresses/subnets. I hope it helps.