Concept question

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
keyjey

Concept question

Post by keyjey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 am

Hi all,

I adore this peace of software.

I just need to know if the only way of assigning DHCP IPs is via secureNAT.

In some servers, I disable secureNAT and keep getting IPs different than configured in DHCP server inside virtualNAT. I need to know why.

Also, any easy way to assign static private IPs using Mac Addresses ? or should I install a real DHCP server ?

Thanks

jb4573

Re: Concept question

Post by jb4573 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:19 pm

I just started using SoftEther myself. It is a slick product. I am not an expert but I have setup an external DHCP server to provide addresses. I have also used SecureNAT/DHCP. I am not sure what other addresses you are getting, they can only becoming from another DHCP server or the nic is getting the default static IP assigned after DHCP timeout. Something like 169.254.x.x.

What you end up doing will depend on your specific case. Using SecureNAT is simple and secure but you take a performance hit. If you don't need NAT, I would disable SecureNAT and just bridge to your local adapter and run DHCP on your internal network.

Hope that helps...still figuring things out myself.

keyjey

Re: Concept question

Post by keyjey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Helo jb4573, sorry didn't get notice about your reply, I just saw it right now after writing a new post :)

After some use, I just noticed that I can use any DHCP server anywhere in the world since it's connected to my same virtual LAN, so that's enough for me.

And yes, from any computer I can manage cnd check anything in my private network, all is connected to the same switch ! :)

That's really cool ! :)