Windows file sharing not working

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Beckler

Windows file sharing not working

Post by Beckler » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

Just trying to file share with a remote PC, Windows 10. Using 'Ad-Hoc' tutorial on site. Client PC is connected to the PC running SoftEther server, status is Connected. Also, can see the server PC on local network and file share with it normally (not VPN) using its IP in file Explorer. But on the remote SoftEther client machine I can't see it in File Explorer>Network when I enter the same IP. It says "Windows cannot access...(IP)". Am I missing a step? I've tried disabling both firewalls. Thanks.

Edit: On the website, buried in troubleshooting section, is the answer. The Bridge hadn't been created, not sure why but the installer wasn't logical or standard at all so I missed it somehow. Anyway once created using the button in server manager window, it all works now. The tutorial doesn't really correspond to the installer nor does it even say what to do once you're connected. I would suggest making it logical and unambiguous - I dunno, that's the only point of a tutorial. For new users. Lol.