server list question

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
BoredAus

Re: server list question

Post by BoredAus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 am

First off, this thread does not belong to this part of the forum. It belongs to the section labelled as VPN Gate.

The randomness of the list of servers on VPN Gate was implemented as part of a security issue, it was also noted in usenix conference last year by Prof. Daiyuu Nobori where the main objective with random servers was to prevent government authorities enumerating and thus banning a list of IP addresses that are responsible for liberating their citizens (mainly China's great firewall). Details of that conference in particular can be found here:

https://t.co/wQEnjWJfcG

There is no real way of turning off the randomness and without some technical know how it is not also possible to obtain a master list which is a list of all the VPN Gate servers that are actually visible to the public. Therefore filtering VPN servers down to say European servers is not possible if the list presented to you does not have any European servers listed neither if you do not have the technical know how to do so.

Also, most of the connections on VPN Gate are typically average home user's connection. Topics like availability, stability and performance for instance are varied from connection to connection. At times some VPN Gate servers listed actually are from some hosting company. If you can connect to them then some of the topics that I mentioned above may not be so much of an issue. Though generally speaking, you are wholly relying on home user's connection and are basically subjected to whatever conditions they are in.

Should those topics that I mentioned be of a real issue along with the lack of European servers. I suggest you to look into actually renting a VPN server yourself.