Says I have connected but my IP doesn't change (SOLVED).

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
neville132

Says I have connected but my IP doesn't change (SOLVED).

Post by neville132 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm using the SoftEther VPN Client Manager to connect to a Japanese IP so I can access a website. After it's successfully connected to the IP, I check http://www.vpngate.net/en/ to see if my location has changed but it never does.

I've tried using several other IPs but I have the same problem. It only seems to occur with this VPN, others I have used work fine but simply do not have enough IPs or require subscriptions.

I checked out the "ipconfig /all" in command prompt whilst connected and the no matter what IP I connect to, the VPN adapter information doesn't change. Comparing it to the picture in the tutorial, my command prompt lacks a lot of information on the VPN (nothing next to default gateway, no "DHCP server" and lease information).

Something else that is weird is that the pop up that tells you what IP has been assigned to you doesn't show although it says it's connected in the client manager.

Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by neville132 on Sun May 10, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neville132

Re: Says I have connected by my IP doesn't change.

Post by neville132 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:22 pm

I solved the issue for myself.

The problem was that AVG was blocking the VPN Gate from connecting. I removed AVG and downloaded Avast (Another free anti-virus) and it started working! It now shows that I am connected to the IP.