VPN and google security

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
otto1357

VPN and google security

Post by otto1357 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 am

I recently installed the VPN gate and was blocked in goof=gle mail which would not accept my password.

They sent me an email to say that someone from Hirokata osaka was trying to acces and I am assuming that it did not like my using the VPN and did not recognise my P / location thus blocking access. I can't conatct Google.

Can anyone confirm what the story is?

Is this going to happen to all password protected web sites?

I am also trying to connect my tablet but cant see any sites that run the L2P2 protocol.

BoredAus

Re: VPN and google security

Post by BoredAus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm

otto1357 wrote:
> I recently installed the VPN gate and was blocked in goof=gle mail which would not
> accept my password.
>

Installed VPN Gate as server or client?

otto1357 wrote:
> They sent me an email to say that someone from Hirokata osaka was trying to acces
> and I am assuming that it did not like my using the VPN and did not recognise my
> P / location thus blocking access. I can't conatct Google.
>

If you have used Japanese VPN gate volunteer servers, that may have an effect. If you were hosting VPN Gate as a volunteer server, although somewhat unlikely but it may also have an effect. However in general it could be as a result of many reasons. Again you need to clarify your opening sentences.

otto1357 wrote:
> Can anyone confirm what the story is?
>

I know that when using Google in general as a search engine from some public proxy servers they may prompt you a Captcha question to prove that you are not a machine when using Google search engine.

Never heard of it being a case with Gmail preventing access so long as you have not managed to lock yourself out of your own account whilst using a foreign IP.

In general, it is silly to access sensitive websites using public proxies/VPN services. The amount of traffic ranging from 'clean' users to 'dirty' users, that is from users whose computers are not infected with some sort of malware to the ones that are and both using public proxies/VPN services may easily change the scenario altogether. What I am trying to say is that if you can access Gmail without any issues before, why must you use VPN Gate for instance to access Gmail? the aim of VPN that are freely available are generally meant to give users access to places where they may be blocked otherwise without the use of VPN.

otto1357 wrote:
> Is this going to happen to all password protected web sites?
>

Possibly, it may happen to virtually any website that has a way to track if you have changed your location. Password protection isn't the only way to do so but is probably the most common way.

otto1357 wrote:
> I am also trying to connect my tablet but cant see any sites that run the L2P2 protocol.

I do not understand a single word you wrote there. What is L2P2? you meant L2TP? which sites? VPN Gate servers?

You really need to rephrase your entire post properly. A compromised VPN service regardless if they are VPN Gate VPN service or not may play the factor, however your computer could also be infected. Likewise, the fact that you are using VPN services in general does not solely alone contribute as to the reason why you can now no longer access your Gmail. Though that case with Gmail, it might be a temporary ban if for instance there was this other entity trying to access your Gmail account but is inputting invalid passwords in a bid to access your Gmail account.

Google has many services apart from Gmail and I am sure you are well aware of that. That said, you have not stated clearly as to why you cannot contact Google. Have you tried writing an email to them? Have you tried calling them? etc.

Last but not least to reiterate what I said, it is silly to access sensitive sites using public proxies and/or VPN. Public proxies/VPN are not there to guarantee anonymity thus can either be abused and/or compromised. If security is an issue, avoid using public services or otherwise take every precautions when using one.