is it vpn gate regarding my personal data??

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ahmedosama

is it vpn gate regarding my personal data??

Post by ahmedosama » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:40 am

dears
now after i connected to a vpn relay using VPN Gate , can anyone at the same server connect to my laptop accessing my harddisk ??? do i have another clients in the same subnet

thanks

bye

BoredAus

Re: is it vpn gate regarding my personal data??

Post by BoredAus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:57 am

ahmedosama wrote:
> dears
> now after i connected to a vpn relay using VPN Gate , can anyone at the same server
> connect to my laptop accessing my harddisk ???

In a general sense no, the use of VPN server is kind service that masquerades multiple IP addresses as one single IP. Unless you run a service or daemon of some sort your computer is generally inaccessible. A compromised VPN host may leak information about its clients.

That said, just because you are using a VPN connection it does not mean that you are completely safe. You should still maintain at all costs to your own benefit have firewalls setup in place to prevent attacks. That way, should you connect to a compromised VPN host, at least your connection is still safe.

Keep in mind that VPN Gate servers are hosted by volunteers and is widely accessible to virtually any one of the person in the public arena. In other words, the VPN Gate service you use may not be giving just you as the sole user access to internet through their connection. You can't simply assume your connection is therefore safe as a result and should always take measures as if using VPN connection is your own connection.

ahmedosama wrote:
> do i have another clients in the same subnet
>
> thanks
>
> bye

If you mean by having other people sharing the same subnet as you through that one VPN Gate you chose, then possibly yes. On the list of VPN Gate servers, it would also show the amount of sessions that the volunteer host is serving. Whilst the list is not updated immediately on the amount of sessions there are per server, it would still give you a general sense of the amount of connections there are to that one host.

If security is a concern in this scenario, the individual IPs that are connected to the same host as you are does not know your IP address or any other information specifically related to you. Only the volunteer host is able to see all the clients connected through the volunteer host and some of their details such as their IP, software version, statistics of data transreceived, connection initiation times, etc. The host cannot see what you have on your hard disk. A compromised host may.