Bridge two LAN over VPNgate server?

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
hostar

Bridge two LAN over VPNgate server?

Post by hostar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Hello,
I have downloaded configuration for some VPN server for OpenVPN from vpngate.net page.
Then I have changed line 'dev tun' to 'dev tap'.
After connecting to server, server assigned to me IP 10.211.1.2 with 255.255.0.0 mask to PC in first LAN
and 10.211.1.4 with same mask in other LAN.

Now I have expected to ping each other PC, but ping command failed.

So I'm asking now, if there is possible to connect LANs in such way over one of these VPN servers.

Thanks in advance.

BoredAus

Re: Bridge two LAN over VPNgate server?

Post by BoredAus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 am

If I understood you correctly, that is not the purpose of the VPN Gate. If you have two connections to one or two VPN Gate servers, you cannot bridge them because each client's connection is basically masked from each other.

If you want something like the ability to ping between two IPs on a single SoftEther VPN server you probably might be better off looking into something like VPN Azure or even just OpenVPN itself. The way VPN Gate software is setup is to prevent two or more clients the ability to see each other on one host even if the IP address is known.

hostar

Re: Bridge two LAN over VPNgate server?

Post by hostar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for answer. Also, besides VPN Azure, I found service called ZeroTier, which is free as well.
Just in case, someone is having same problem :-)