How to Provide Linux Computer as a VPN Server for VPN Gate

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
BoredAus

Re: How to Provide Linux Computer as a VPN Server for VPN Ga

Post by BoredAus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:34 am

There has been similar threads like this:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3788

Personally I do not believe it is to do with overloading of the network but rather the lack of external volunteers willing to contribute to the project itself as in to do with programming/debugging side. From time to time I have seen volunteers willing to contribute adding their own language into SoftEther VPN software via the forum but have been directed to modify hamcore.se2 which is available on github as part of SoftEther VPN's openess initiative. Since then, SoftEther VPN still only supports the three usual languages and not the ones that I see from the volunteer translators and their chosen language to be implemented.

This sort of impression gives me the lack or part thereof interest from the community to contribute further which in turn offers shortcoming of the project itself. The project itself has succeeded to a point where it is stable enough and has been offered to the public with the source codes however it is inevitable that in the case of translations as well as cross-platform support it is limited. If only SoftEther VPN could somehow pick up popularity elsewhere, it is otherwise severely restricted by being as a mere 'pet' project at the University of Tsukuba. You can think of examples of how Linus Torvald's started the linux project or when Sun at the time was interested by open source movement with Java had their world turned out to be the unexpected. SoftEther VPN needs to pick up momentum via their fans, their fans needs to spread the word and that would in turn gain popularity as well as potentially show off to the rest of the world how these open source or was once proprietary software gets to be potentially adopted into many varied environments with many translations to the software being offered as well as support in various languages. Ultimately whether this project would survive beyond the projected deadline set by University of Tsukuba or would otherwise be dead, turned back into proprietary software, etc I believe now heavily rests on the popularity overall as well as potentially the amount of contributors from the open source movement. If only I was a programmer or had enough funds to maybe somehow pay a developer to port the software to another platform, etc I'd do so. Contributing other than by being a simple volunteer server may most likely mean a lot more. Also if you trace back to the beginnings of this SoftEther VPN project, there were people that were looking forward to this project being made open source. It makes you wonder if they have actually contributed any codes, etc to the project seeing as how it is now offered with source codes.

Enough of me being an evangelist, I do recall there was a thread with screenshots of what you mentioned with VPNGate server option being unavailable under linux via wine. You could potentially try running the SoftEther VPN with VPNGate add-on via windows and virtualisation. It would probably sound ugly, frustrating, difficult and all but that is also another potential avenue however. In short, I think there has been no contributions to port VPNGate add-on for linux, even at that using SoftEther VPN under linux is troublesome for GUI oriented users whom would probably prefer to click away at menus like their windows user counterparts rather than typing away on the CLI.