Where can I find VPN gate utility?

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
advocate86

Where can I find VPN gate utility?

Post by advocate86 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

I'd like to try a workaround a problem I had lately (http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3901), but I can't edit any preferences for vpngate. Can anybody help?

BoredAus

Re: Where can I find VPN gate utility?

Post by BoredAus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 am

There are no preferences for VPNGate utility for client side which is what you have. You only have the choice within SoftEther VPN Client Manager to either add a VPN by hand to connect or connect to VPNGate VPN. Other settings are mainly to do with deployment, troubleshooting, or just managing VPN adapters.

SoftEther VPN Server Manager gives you very little preference as to what you can do with your offering to VPNGate volunteer server list.

Now the problem you are facing in your other thread which should have probably been started in this part of the forum could be due to many reasons. Being an university connection they may prohibit you using VPN. I know some universities use their own VPN for roaming clients, as in clients on wireless connection and wanting to use university resources to connect to the internet/network. Some may even prevent you from connecting directly to VPN on the external network without authenticating using your student login credentials.

advocate86

Post by advocate86 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 am

Thank you for replying. I believe I might have a similar situation, as this guy: http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3925.
However, as I mentioned it all worked flawlessly a few days ago.
I found out that while connected to a vpn server, I could still connect to a website, as if though I was using uni proxy, but it now fails to do so, and I have to change the settings manually - after that it starts working. Same with Dropbox. However, there is one program, where I can't manually change connection type, and that, unfortunately, brought me here.
Maybe something really happened on the vpngate end? Have you heard anything?

BoredAus

Post by BoredAus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Could you describe what settings did you have to adjust manually?

The issue that the other user is facing is with an autoconfigured IP address on VPN adapter. If you are facing the same issue, it could be firewall issues on your end and/or the lack of appropriate services or daemons running to receive and apply DHCP IPs. If that is the case, you need to disable your firewalls temporarily and see if the problem still persist. Normally, a properly configured firewall should allow DHCP activity but there are cases where a misconfigured firewall or some strict regulation may prohibit certain activities from happening.

For your program that disallows you from choosing the connection, you might be able to get by using something like FreeCap. Though you need to know a fair bit about networking to get the program working through socks.

I am running SoftEther VPN on my connection with VPNGate, currently I see no issues with VPNGate clients connecting through me. I have also recently tried a few random VPNGate servers without any issue. Though I am unsure of anything happening on the VPNGate as I am not a staff.