Tor to VPN Gate Questions

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
andychou

Tor to VPN Gate Questions

Post by andychou » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 am

Recently, I switched from Tor to VPN Gate to view blocked sites outside of China. Websites load so much faster now. Thank you for making this available to us. Hopefully VPN Gate will also be harder for them to block.

With Tor I could browse with the tor browser, while at the same time using IP TV and file sharing software like 迅雷 (thunder), PPS TV, funshion, and torrent clients though my local connection. All of these programs by default will use all available bandwidth. I do not want to route P2P and IPTV traffic over VPN Gate, as it wastes valuable VPN Gate bandwidth and also greatly slows my transfers.

With Tor, this was not an issue. Can VPN Gate be configured like Tor, so it is not used for P2P traffic? I am concerned that if this issue is not addressed, VPN Gate will slow down as it gains popularity.

slacka

Re: Tor to VPN Gate Questions

Post by slacka » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

viverdc wrote:
> VPN Gate implements the VPN technology, as its name suggests. The whole
> point of VPN is to relay ALL your traffic to a remote server through an
> encrypted channel, so it is neither possible nor desirable to leave a part
> of your Internet traffic unencrypted.

Vererdc,
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and its name just implies that it is a way to connect private networks over the Internet. It is very desirable to leave a part of your Internet traffic unencrypted. In fact, every VPN client that I have used for business implemented something called a split-tunnel VPN. This type of VPN only routes private traffic over the VPN and uses your regular Internet connection for all normal Internet traffic.

> The people under government surveillance, however, want no part of their traffic being accidentally leaked

VPN Gate does not safeguard against this. If your VPN is disconnected, all your data will be routed through your normal Internet connection, completely exposing you to government surveillance.

If they want VPN Gate to be used as a tool to help dissidents, I hope that future version of SoftEther will offer an option to disable the Internet if your VPN goes down. Another solution to this problem would be if SoftEther could act as a SOCKS Server like Tor and PuTTY.

LyWashberg

Post by LyWashberg » Sun May 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Another former Tor User here. VPN Gate is much faster, but I find the servers frequently go down, leaving me unprotected. Is there any way to setup SoftEther so that the traffic will only go through the VPN, effectively disabling the Internet when the VPN goes down?

dauser

Post by dauser » Sun May 05, 2013 2:46 pm

It seems that there's no developer in this forum.
I have some questions and advices too but I'm not sure if it's suitable to submit here.