Can a VPN usage be detected?

This is idle-talk forum. Write your greeting here. Feel free to discuss here for anything.
amme

Can a VPN usage be detected?

Post by amme » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm currently discovering how to use VPN and how reliable it is. Are there tools that can detect I'm using a VPN?

I came across some IP location tools that show not only IP, country, region but if VPN use is true/false. Like this for example https://www.abstractapi.com/ip-geolocation-api

It returns the security part among other data:

"security": {
"is_vpn": false
},

I checked and when I use VPN it returns the masked IP data and shows "is_vpn": false, so doesn't recognize that I use VPN. However, is it possible that other geolocation services may detect VPN?

Thanks!

psyche

Re: Can a VPN usage be detected?

Post by psyche » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:00 am

there are some sites that could detect VPN usage. However there are also top notch VPNs that has a feature to counter this.

vicyclesix

Post by vicyclesix » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:39 am

VPN clients can be difficult to detect as they typically use a port such as 443 over UDP or TCP which is normally open on a firewall. ... Once you select a VPN server, an encrypted connection is created between your client and the VPN server. All of your Internet bound activity is then routed through this VPN connection.

MGruberTunnels

Post by MGruberTunnels » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:35 am

One of the ways sites detect VPNs is by knowing which IP addresses come from VPN servers. This is one of the ways big companies like Netflix counter those who view content from other countries through VPNs: https://www.vpn-service.org/can-your-vp ... e-netflix/

If you want to be safe from such detections, some VPNs offer a service called "static IP" (you'd have to pay for this extra most of the time) that will give tyou a stable IP address that's specially allotted for you. That means the sites won't know it's a VPN connection.