Please help me set this up

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
NoobNeedsHelp

Please help me set this up

Post by NoobNeedsHelp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the help :(
Last edited by NoobNeedsHelp on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

jvanegmond

Re: Please help me set this up

Post by jvanegmond » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:06 am

Hi,

For your understanding, SoftEther is a software which you can use to connect TWO computers together. One of the computers MUST have a publicly routable IP address.

If you just want to use this as a free VPN, this is not for you.

Could you elaborate on the machines that you have available, the publicly routable IP addresses that you have, and what you're trying to achieve here?

With kind regards,
jvanegmond

Retinaquester2

Post by Retinaquester2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am

Hi,

had his network schematic up here.
But did not recevie any input. That's why he changed the first post.

Regards.

NoobNeedsHelp

Post by NoobNeedsHelp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 pm

LAN to LAN site A to site B

Site A SoftEther Server, 2 NIC's, one internet, one bridged to LAN A

Site B SoftEther Bridge, 2 NIC's, one internet, one bridged to LAN B

Continuous cascade connection initiated at B to server at A.

Question: Are the computers hosting the virtual hubs also part of the network? That is, say I have a peripheral device such as a printer, IP camera, usb device, etc. connected to Site A server computer ... will site B computers be able to "see" these devices?

Likewise, if peripherals are connected to the site B Bridge computer, will site A computers be able to "see" these.

Basically, I need to know if the Server and Bridge computers are completely dedicated vpn machines that only function for vpn communication, or can they also serve as clients in the new, SoftEther expanded LAN and allow all other computers to see peripherals connected to them.

~Noob

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

@Noob

The physical machines Server/PC running the SoftEther(Server & Bridge) software can be accessed and their resources used by any computers on the network as long as these resources are shared, just like in any network.

If SoftEther is set up properly any shared device at either location should be visible and usable to any and all network computers as if they were connected to the same local network, including the SoftEther machines.

Retinaquester2

Post by Retinaquester2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi,

If the computers are Windows then yes by default, the sever can be reached.
(I myself have remote desktop and a SQL server running on the SE server)

From what I read: Linux SE Bridge/SE Server needs a TAP device to get acces to them.

I recommand you try it. If not on a live server. Setup a Virtual machine.

Retinaquester.

NoobNeedsHelp

Post by NoobNeedsHelp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Great! That simplifies things. I was afraid that I might have to make two new dedicated boxes for just hosting the vpn. Right now both LANs are working with Win machines. I just want them to be one LAN with common IP addressing where the server&bridge comps are also accessible. Thx.

~Noob

NoobNeedsHelp

Post by NoobNeedsHelp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:32 pm

[attachment=0]SoftEtherA-B.png[/attachment]

Before I waste a lot of time doing it wrong, may I ask that you check my logic please.

Site A SoftEther server:

192.168.1.1 goes to firewall box then internet modem
192.168.1.2 gets bridged to virtual hub and also physically connects via an ethernet cable to switch/LAN A?

Site B SoftEther bridge:

192.168.1.5 goes to firewall box then internet modem
192.168.1.6 gets bridged to virtual hub and also physically connects via an ethernet cable to switch/LAN B?

Then, with Windows machines any LAN A comp can "see" the desktop of LAN B Bridge comp and other LAN B comps, and vice-versa.

I hope my logic is correct.

~Noob
Attachments
SoftEtherA-B.png

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 pm

@ Noob

You logic is fine, however. Is the multi NIC computers A and B serving as gateways of some kind? I ask because they are before the switch in your image. Or are all 3 NICs on the Multi-MIC computers connected to the same switch as the 3 comps in the image?
IE:
CableModem=====>FirewallBOX=====>switch =====>( ALL computers and all 3 NICs Multi-NIC computer A).

I can expand further in regard to setting it up if you like.