Can't ping client by it's other address

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
sogrbilja

Can't ping client by it's other address

Post by sogrbilja » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi everybody,
I need help with this, thank you.
Server has a Server software installed on it. A client machine has a client software installed. IP address of the server is 192.168.2.5, IP address of the client is 192.168.3.4. IP address of the VPN adapter that Softether created is 192.168.2.100.
I have created a route that forwards 192.168.3.0/24 to 192.168.2.100 on the server side.

I can ping all computers from the client to the server side, but I can't ping from the server to the client by 192.168.3.4 address, or any computer on client network.

Do anybody knows why?

Thanks,
Dejan

sogrbilja

Re: Can't ping client by it's other address

Post by sogrbilja » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:51 am

OK, I have figure it out myself, if someone else need the same thing should consult this page:
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... P_Routing)

Greets,
Dejan

LittleMitch

Re: Can't ping client by it's other address

Post by LittleMitch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm

So I assume you must have created a Layer 3 routed VPN.

I'm struggling a bit because I want 2 sites linked at layer 2, which I have successfully done. However with them all being on the same subnet and the same default gateway, I don't see how you can avoid all traffic going through whichever site has the common default gateway.

I of course understand how to deal with this with a layer 3 routed VPN.

My testing scenario is with 2 sites with very high speed internet connects. My concern is when I implement this at the actual target remote office with 12 Mbps internet, it may be a problem.

I have the security policy blocking DHCP traffic, so both sites only get the local DHCP server.