slow connection

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
davidcolmena

slow connection

Post by davidcolmena » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 am

Hi, I've got 2 optical fibers 600mbps/600mbps.

copying files by windows I don't get transfer rates higher than 2 MB/s, I have tested on other servers and the same problem, I have seen in the forum and I have tested everything but without any result (attached test)

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cmd wh0ami

Re: slow connection

Post by cmd wh0ami » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Are you using Secure NAT? or did you bridge to eth0 or wlan0?

The best connection I've found after working with SoftEther for the last couple years is to not use Secure NAT or the built in DHCP server. If you bridge to your Ethernet adapter on the server (eth0) your router will do the DHCP push.

Then go in to client advanced settings (you can do this if your using Secure NAT too) and make 16-20 tcp connections (with fiber you might be able to make more than that), and enable half duplex mode. You can use udp acceleration too but im almost positive you have to make sure that your udp ports are open for the corresponding tcp ports if not using NAT-T.

If your using a remote VPS and not a home/office server there is a lot more work needed to make the bridge since there is no router to do the DHCP push to clients. I use dnsmasq in that situation.
VPN Discord invite: https://discord.gg/QByKXA9

davidcolmena

Post by davidcolmena » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 am

Hi, Thanks for your answer,

Secure NAT is not in use, eth0 is bridged , in the client i used 16 connections too and half duplex mode...

UPD acceleration is not in use, I'm going to try it. Thank you!

davidcolmena

Post by davidcolmena » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 am

Same problem ...

cmd wh0ami

Post by cmd wh0ami » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Seems most of the problems Ive never ran into before are all happening when using Windows as the servers host... Is that what your SE server is running on? Maybe try disabling Azure, Dynamic DSN server, L2TP/IPsec, MS-SSTP, all the listening ports besides tcp 443 and turn your encryption down to something like RC4-MD5 or RC4-SHA ... Just strip it down to the bare essentials

Then disable Windows defender on the SE server host if its running on Windows just to test if that has something to do with it. I run the SE server at home running CentOS 7 on a Raspberry Pi. For the $35 the rpi costs I think its worth it.. I run my Nvidia mining rigs on Windows 10 and there is just so many things with Windows that can go wrong and throw it off.

Another thing I do is I always get the rtm version of softether rather than the beta. I've had a beta version delete my server config and reset all the settings by its self.
VPN Discord invite: https://discord.gg/QByKXA9

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 am

Could you show the server log?