Problems getting multicast through VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mrc

Problems getting multicast through VPN

Post by mrc » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi,

n00b to EtherSoft VPN, but from the description of the product, it seems to be what I'm looking for :-)
(as a beginner to this, I might need quite detailed descriptions....)

Setup:
Site 1 - Fibermodem connected directly to Ubuntu 16.04 pc running EtherSoft VPN
Site 2 - Windows 10 PC with client installed.

- I have connection to the VPN.
- I have access to the internet through the VPN
- The fibermodem on Site 1 is NOT a router. But it delivers mulitple public IPs to connected devices
- I get a different public IP address on the Client on Site 2 than the server-pc have (checking on www.whatismyip.com). Running tracert shows traffic going through the VPN.
-DHCP enabled in EthersoftVPN. The client get a 192.168-ip.

On the Ubuntu-pc acting as a server, I'm able to join the multicasts that I also want to be able to reach on Site 2. Because of the use of multicast, I need to keep this as a L2-connection.

Other question:
Should I be able to get the VPN-adapter available in Wireshark on my Windows pc? winpcap need reinstall after this adapter is set up?

Pandora-Box

Re: Problems getting multicast through VPN

Post by Pandora-Box » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Hello mrc,
It appears to me you might consider bridging your different subnets.
There is detailed info about softether bridging, including tutorials and examples, under Softether Documentations tab.
Regarding Wireshark, once VPN adapter is successfully installed, Wireshark should recognize it without any problem, and there is no need to reinstall it or WinPcap on Windows machine, once both were already installed prior to SE VPN adapter (unless you removed WinPcap component).
Upon making VPN connection Wireshark shows all traffic going through VPN interface.
Good Luck.
P-B

thisjun

Re: Problems getting multicast through VPN

Post by thisjun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 am

Please try to create tap localbridge and bridge it with WAN NIC on the server.