Suggested change in Linux installation instruccions

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Fede654

Suggested change in Linux installation instruccions

Post by Fede654 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm

Hi, I've been using SoftEther since 2020 and I'm very pleased with its functioning, so I want to thanks the development efforts in the first place.

I usually install the vpnserver under Windows OS, and this is the first time I ran through the installation process on a Linux Server.

I want to suggest this little change that leads to some confusion:
Under the point 7.3.8 of the Linux install manual the Registering of a Startup Script is developed, which is aimed to be hosted under /opt/vpnserver.sh

I am using a Debian 12 fresh install and the scripts ran Ok as presented without modification.
But somehow the code block shows an instruction for developing the script under the legacy init.d system, as opposed to system.d. (Picture attached)
linux install.png
My suggestion is to modify that sentence or even remove the whole code block because it lead me to some confusion since it is contradictory with the instructions given and will cause service enable to fail under systemd if both /opt/vpnserver.sh and /etc/init.d/vpnserver.sh are present without the proper headers in the script file.

I hope this contributes in making SoftEther more accesible.
Kind Regards,
Federico
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.