connecte to HMI/PLC over internet and programme

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
brijeshsojitra

connecte to HMI/PLC over internet and programme

Post by brijeshsojitra » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am

Hello all,
I have a scenario where I need to programme and configure industrial devices like PLC, HMI and many more devices on remote site(manufacturing unit). this not the only case, this type of configurations I need to do very frequently on various manufacturing locations, I want to install small RAS PI box with all configurations read and than I must be able to connected to any device when needed.

but in this situation conditions are
1. no one on remote site is available who can connect their PLC, HMI to a laptop.
2. no port forwarding and static ip need on remote site(manufacturing location).
3. no human interaction to connect to vpn.

But, yes internet connectivity is available.

I need bi directional traffic where office computers and access that PLC and HMI as like they connected in Local Lan and can work on that.

What I was thinking as part of this solution is as below,

possibility-1

1. configure softether vpn server on one of my PC at my office(it can possibly be on cloud also, if needed).
2. on remote site, use RAS PI computer installed with soft-ether client(this box is connected to internet and also to PLC, HMI) and connect that in bridge mode to soft ether vpn server configured at office.
3. at office technical person will connect to the same soft ether vpn server in bridge mode.

now both the client can communicate with each other in bi directional mode.

possibility-2

1. configure softether vpn server on one of my PC at my office(it can possibly be on cloud also, if needed).
2. on remote site put dd wrt router/open vpn supported router and connect it in bridge to soft server.
3. at office technical person will connect to the same soft ether vpn server in bridge mode.

trying to RAS PI box with router.

need your input on both the possible solutions I thought.

Guide me if anyone has worked on Ras PI with soft ether.

I am new here and first time doing this type of configurations, need your suggestions that it can work or not as per my scenario.

sky59

Re: connecte to HMI/PLC over internet and programme

Post by sky59 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 pm

I made and successfully tested this configuration:
- vpnserver at office
- vpnbridge at remote location

I used layer 2 site-to-site configuration, no need to play with IPs, dhcp ...

I tested this hardware:

Orange pi zero - orange pi zero, both openwrt
A5V11 - A5V11 routers, both openwrt
Pc -pc, both ubuntu 16.04

Works well with siemens plc

brijeshsojitra

Post by brijeshsojitra » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 am

Thank you sky59,

I have some questions,
1. do you needed any port forwarding on any of the sides on router, on vpn server and on site vpn bridge?
2.you enabled secure Nat?
3. how you managed with Cascade network connection configuration?
4. For now at initial testing, my VPN SERVER ip is 192.168.0.201 and on the same office network, where both dynamic dns and vpn azure was enabled on vpn server. I tried to connect a on that same network with another computer, vpn client installed and tried to connect to 192.168.0.201 and it worked and used dynamic dns id showed in VPN SERVER and tried to connect from client with that dynamic dns id and it worked. BUT WHEN I DETACHED CLIENT COMPUTER FROM OFFICE NETWORK AND CONNECTED TO EXTERNAL INTERNET PROVIDER AND TRIED TO CONNECT TO VPN SERVER WITH DYNAMIC DNS(AS DYNAMIC DNS AND VPNAZURE ID ARE SAME)IT DIDN'T WORKED.

CAN YOU through some light on this.

I want this configuration to work than Iam planning to work on site to site vpn on computers and than work on pi on client side.

Can you please share your entire network configuration how you mananged to work in your scenario? because I think it is same what I am looking for.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 am