Migration VBox VM (Win7 & SoftEther) on another Vbox Server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
maq

Migration VBox VM (Win7 & SoftEther) on another Vbox Server

Post by maq » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 am

hi

I have migrated a *FULLY FUNCTIONAL* VirtualBox VM (Win7 & SoftEther VPN 4.0) on another VirtualBox server ... but SoftEther, on destination VM, don't works!

in detail...
1) Win7, on the destination Vbox server, starts correctly and network connection works correctly
2) SoftEther, on the destination Vbox server, starts correctly ... but the clients cannot connect
2.1) after a first attempt to connect (not successful) I have setting, on destination VM,
the MAC address *OF THE SOURCE VM* but the problem persist (clearly the IP is not changed between the 2 VMs)

Windows 7 Professional - SP1 - 32bit
SoftEther VPN (Ver 4.18 - Build 9570)
SecureNAT => NO

I attach, of destination VM...
1- The result of "ipconfig /all"
2- The result of "systeminfo"
3- the current vpn_server.config (I have masked userlist and secrets/password/etc.)

where is the problem?
thanks

massimo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raafat

Re: Migration VBox VM (Win7 & SoftEther) on another Vbox Ser

Post by raafat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Before i I investigate with this problem I would like to suggest this : SE software keeps all configuration data in a text file, that means, you can install SE server from scratch and just import your configuration file and then you get back your SE server functioning and working as it was. It's not worth the hassle of the migration of a whole VM to another one. Imagine this, migrating a whole VM or just a tiny text file ?.

maq

Post by maq » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 am

hi raafat

thanks for your quick response.

I have tried your solution (Win7+SE installation and copy vpn_server.config from old SE) but i have the same problem..:
from the SE log (attached) the problem is generated by lack of DHCP server in the subnet (but DHCP exists!..infact the old SE server works!!)

I have turned off the Windows Firewall

I attach the screenshot from my mobile phone (with error msg from OpenVPN client)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:49 am

The screen shot shows logging messages from a OpenVPN client, but you didn't talk about it yet!. Anyway, this is what I suggest :

Install a SE server from scratch, that is, download it from SE website, then, install it as you would normally do, then "import the config file from the previous server into the current one". Then, you have to provide us more details about your topology. That is, How are you trying to connect to your SE server ?, is it a L2 VPN or a L3 VPN topology ?, Are you using a SE client or a OpenVPN client ?. Then, hopefully we can go further in assisting you.

Good luck (:

maq

Post by maq » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:41 pm

I remind you that the old server SE is working well with openvpn client for years.
The configuration is ok!

1) we are using OpenVPN client only!
2) It should be a L2 topology because the mobile device...
2.1) in connecting phase, acquiring an IP address of our local Network (from a range of IPs defined in the local DHCP server)
2.2) the IP address of our local network are all public IPs!! (we dont'use NAT!)

I have followed your instructions:
1) Installation of a clean VM with Windows 7 SP1 *ON A NEW VIRTUALBOX SERVER*
2) Installation of SE
3) copy of vpn_server.config file (taken from VM from old server Vbox)... in SE directory of VM of new server vbox
...but It dont works!

Have you seen the the file log attached for you in the previous post? there seems to be a problem in connecting to the DHCP server on my network
(This problem does not occur in the old server)

I hope I have responded clearly to your questions

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Assuming that you've set up "Forwarding ports" correctly, may you try to connect to your SE server from an SE client ?

Let's see what you get back!

maq

Post by maq » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:05 pm

certainly!!!
but I will test next week

have a nice weekend!

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Good luck (:

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 am

In the VPN configuration, localbridge is connected to Realtek.
However the VM has Intel NIC by ipconfig result.