Which Encryption Algorithm?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
danieldaniel

Which Encryption Algorithm?

Post by danieldaniel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:36 pm

I currently have my encryption algo set to DES-CBC3-SHA. But i'm wondering if that's the best one to choose. I'm not after nation state level of encryption, just enough to deter a casual observer, and speed of the connection is more important to me.

Can anyone recommend which algo to chose, and why? Security is important, but speed is more important!

raafat

Re: Which Encryption Algorithm?

Post by raafat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 pm

I quote : "RC4-MD5 is the fastest algorithm that offers a certain degree of security". SE manual

check out this link : https://softether.org/4-docs/1-manual/2 ... n_Protocol

danieldaniel

Post by danieldaniel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:34 am

excellent, thanks. I missed that in the manual.

It's an interesting recommendation, "There is no need for you to select another algorithm without a special reason", because i was under the impression that both RC4 and MD5 had known vulnerabilities.

RC4: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7465
and from the wiki "While remarkable for its simplicity and speed in software, multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in RC4, rendering it insecure"

MD5: "Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash function, it has been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities" So for hashing it's fine for SoftEther I think as it's not being used for the encryption

I don't need to make it impossible for anyone to see my VPN traffic, so RC4 is probably fine for me. I just don't want any of my traffic, passwords, etc. to be easily detectable by the average network admin. and the trade-off for speed is important to my usage.

Curious though that the SoftEther documentation recommends RC4 though, no?

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Why does SE manual recommend RC4, well.. that is another story. You have options, choose whatever you would like to choose, regarding speed or strength of encryption, such as, AES256 or the default one that is recommended by SE developers.

Good luck (: