Cirtual Network Adapater on Client Connection won't get a local IP.

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
balegrim

Cirtual Network Adapater on Client Connection won't get a local IP.

Post by balegrim » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello. I've recently began testing softether on an RPI3 and was quite impressed with how easy it was to get going and how many functions it offers.

However, when connecting to my RPI's soft ether VPN server I get stuck at the DHCP loading screen. It ultimately connects me, but my virtual adapter is not assigned a local IP address and it cannot see or access local network resources. It simply gets an APIPA address. As I understood it the using a local should give me some kind of local IP.

I'll attach my server file and any other log files you guys ask for. [attachment=0]raspberrypi_server_log_vpn_20180704.log[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

balegrim

Re: Cirtual Network Adapater on Client Connection won't get a local IP.

Post by balegrim » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 am

I just want to let everyone know i solved my problem.

For other networking newbies out there I will share my fix.

I was trying to bridge my device on the wifi adapter. As the site pointed out: most wifi adapters do not support promiscuous mode, which is important for properly connecting through the VPN. After hard wiring to the network, my VPN connected me as expected and assigned me a local IP.

If you are deadset on using a wifi adapter, my only advice to you is to edit the config file of your server and and change bool NoPromiscuousMode false to true. I can't promise that will work (as you're using the wifi card) but it might connect you properly on your wifi card. Hope this saves a lot of newbies a lot of headache who are like me and don't always read things and make assumptions. ^^