Pushing Automating Routing configuration on Linux client OS

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
itskv

Pushing Automating Routing configuration on Linux client OS

Post by itskv » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:36 am

Hello there,

After so much digging, I succeeded in logging from linux SoftEther VPN client to windows SoftEther server. Issuing command AccountStatusGet says connection with server is OK.

But the problem is, when I actually checks my public IP address using any website, say www.whatismyipaddress.com, it shows my origional IP address allotted by my ISP. I am not getting public IP from VPN server.

I searched on internet about this issue and I ended up on something called 'ROUTING CONFIGURATION'. And this has to be done on client OS, not on VPN client.

*** Can anybody guide me how to set the proper routing configuration on client OS?

*** Also, while using SoftEther server software, I found 'Static Routing Table to push' field under SecureNAT section. I read somewhere that, we can automate the routing configuration on client OS using this option. Can anybody tell me, how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

cmd wh0ami

Re: Pushing Automating Routing configuration on Linux client OS

Post by cmd wh0ami » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Read over this forum post... It gives answers to all the issues you could encounter setting up Softether Client on Linux... You may not need to do all the workarounds. Just start at the top of the forum post and work your way down. Most of those issues were with a older version of Ubuntu.

https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-addres ... toral.html

I just setup Softether Client on my Chromebook running Crouton and a CLI only version of Ubuntu the other day. I had to do the fix for DHCP in /etc/network/interfaces..... But I didnt have to do anything for the DNS... There isnt even a folder in /etc/ called NetworkManager in the version of Ubuntu I'm using and echo “nameserver 8.8.8.8” >> “/etc/resolv.conf” was not needed.

The DNS nameserver came through the DHCP push from the remote server right away without any workaround

Let me save you A LOT of time. If your trying to make you VPN undetectable... Disable UDP acceleration in Softether Client in Windows and import the settings into your Linux client (or you can change the settings in /vpnclient/vpn_client.config. It took me a year to figure out how to spoof MTU: 1500 Ethernet or Modem. Also stop Softether server from listening on tcp ports 992, 1194 and 5555. Disable all other vpn protocols in Softether.

I only wish I could have got the help I just gave you... It would have saved me more hours than I can count.
VPN Discord invite: https://discord.gg/QByKXA9

cmd wh0ami

Post by cmd wh0ami » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:20 pm

While I'm at it I might as well bless you with a killswitch.. UFW works.... But I like IPtables. FYI Softether doesnt support IPv6 so it could leak.

sudo iptables -F
sudo iptables -P INPUT DROP
sudo iptables -P FORWARD DROP
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
sudo iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 55.55.55.55 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -i vpn_vpn -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 55.55.55.55 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o vpn_vpn -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -j DROP
sudo ip6tables -F

55.55.55.55 = the public IP of the server running VPN software
vpn_vpn = the network adapter for softether client if you name the NIC vpn...
if using ovpn, network adapter = tun0
if using L2TP/IPsec, network adapter = ppp0

as long as you dont save this to iptables, iptables will reset on reboot just in case you didnt already know.

itskv

Post by itskv » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for the reply.

my server gets dynamic IP from ISP. So, I can't set local server IP 55.55.55.55. And I have to automate this routing process next tie without any IP edits.

Any thought?

cmd wh0ami

Post by cmd wh0ami » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:34 pm

I have no idea... I tried 0.0.0.0/0 and it broke something I havent been able to fix so I wouldnt try that.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 am

@itskv
What OS did you use for the VPN Client?
How did you assign the IP address of the virtual NIC?

itskv

Post by itskv » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm

hello @thisjun

Actually, I am working on raspberry pi related project. So, I am using Raspbian x86 OS on VirtualBox using windows as host os.
I have kept default IP settings of vNIC as they are. SEclient has created this vNIC automatically for me.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:34 am

The IP address isn't assigned in default settings.
Please use DHCP client etc.